Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

I noticed that when I'm talking with people I often talk a lot by my point of view and I don't ask or pay attention to their opinion. I want to change it because I want to have friends but I never remember to care about this things, so I end up doing wrong.

Also, I often recommend movies to friends but I never watch or show interest when they do the same for me.

Luna035
Raven
Raven

22 Oct 2017, 6:36 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
I noticed that when I'm talking with people I often talk a lot by my point of view and I don't ask or pay attention to their opinion. I want to change it because I want to have friends but I never remember to care about this things, so I end up doing wrong.

Also, I often recommend movies to friends but I never watch or show interest when they do the same for me.

Lol-because I do this.

Ask questions about what they are talking about.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2017, 6:22 pm

I dont think you are egoistic when you are this self aware as you are

Fig Putin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2017, 2:17 am

alpacka wrote:
I dont think you are egoistic when you are this self aware as you are

Being too self-aware can give you all sorts of false beliefs. I've gotten to the point where I have trouble trusting my own thoughts and ideas.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:41 am

Have you tried analyzing a conversation in retrospect and then thinking about where you could have injected a question? I used to be scared of asking questions, but I got better at it.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 4:07 pm

Today I felt like I was egotistical. Besides, even if you have a Christmas list of weaknesses, why not focus on the strengths you have?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 4:27 pm

That sounds like you have made a good insight about yourself. Not that you should beat up on yourself about it, but that you should work on it a little.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm

I do this too. And sometimes I don't realize until afterwards.
Sometimes, if it's someone I see regularly, I'll write a letter and focus on questions I want to ask. Or just a list of questions. I don't have to give the person the letter, but sometimes writing it down helps to remember it. Then I've got a sort of concrete script. I have to stop myself from scripting my own responses to the questions when I do it.
In general just practicing helps. When I notice that I'm running the other person over I try to stop, let them talk, ask questions. Practicing does help for me. But much more so if I find the other person really interesting.
I also try to let the other person know that it's something I feel like I have a problem with, that if I start to get carried away on a monologue they should let me know. That I will appreciate it if they stop me when I'm doing it so it can be a better interaction.
It can be a lot of work, and there are always ups and downs. Sometimes I just completely run the other person over, one day I trapped someone I consider a friend on a corner for 45 minutes with a big long monologue. She was crying! I realized I was doing it and just couldn't stop. I felt terrible about it! I apologized to her a number of times.
Other times I'm trying so hard not to go off on a monologue that I almost don't say anything, I know that if I start talking I probably won't stop.
It's always challenging, one way or another.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 12:57 pm

Yes, once you realize the issue it does take practice to do better.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2017, 7:18 pm

I think I might be guilty of this too, or turning things around to me.

I don't want to do it though, especially after seeing how Trump does it all the time. I don't think that is lack of empathy though, I think it's narcissism. LOL

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

If you do catch yourself doing this, you don't need to do anything clever. Just stop talking and pretend it didn't happen. Your captive audience will not only appreciate it, but more often than not they won't make a big deal of it if you don't.