How can I handle this problem with my new boss?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 2:57 am

So I got a new job and went to work on the first day. The people there didn't know where I was suppose to be stationed to work, and the boss who hired me that I talked to before wasn't there that day. He sent me a text saying they will show me, but they didn't know where.

Not that this was a problem really. All I needed was a table and a chair and I got all the work done for the day, and then some.

However, afterward I get a text from the boss saying "Where the f#&* were you!", and that was it. I was kind of surprised and confused by that text, so I texted back, politely saying I was there, and came in that day and told him the time I came and the time I left, which was the proper time I was suppose to.

And he said I was not in my stationed office for the day, so he has no choice but to mark me absent for my first day, when I said I would be in, he said.

So I texted him back saying that I was stationed where they told me to go, and I got all the work done, and got to the shift 10 minutes early, which was true, and stayed till the end, before I was told it was okay to go and I was done for the day, by the supervisors.

He didn't text me back after, and his last text was that one, where he said he will have now have to consider me absent, even though I was there the whole time.

So what should I do now, if I want to not be considered absent for my first day, and would kind of humbly like to get paid and considered by the boss to have been there, and done the work?

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:12 am

I'm sorry, but this sounds really bad. Using swear words in the first text he sends you? He should have called you to ask where you were. Why didn't he call you at some point in the morning, if he didn't see you?

Unless there is something I'm not aware of, he seems to be acting abusive.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:16 am

Well I was working an evening shift going till midnight so perhaps he sent the second text, just before going to bed and hasn't gotten back to yet cause he had to sleep, then work, and will later or something.

Last edited by ironpony on 22 Oct 2017, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:18 am

Ok, different shifts explains it though. Rough language is still not ok, though. Did you give him the names of the people you talked to?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:20 am

I didn't know the name of the person I talked to at the start of the day, but I know the name of the supervisor I spent the most time with. But no I didn't give names, cause after he didn't get back to me yet, I was wondering what my next approach should be.

What I could do, is go to the payroll person that I am suppose to set up my direct deposit with and all that, and I'm suppose to give her my hours so far... I could go to her, just give her my hours and hope to get paid for the first day. But I will probably get a text from the boss before seeing her on Monday, I am guessing.

I mean I think I can get the supervisor I spent the most time with to vouch for me that I was there, but I feel the boss, texting me right after like that, is jumping to a conclusion without really investigating, if that makes sense.

Last edited by ironpony on 22 Oct 2017, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:23 am

He's probably still waiting to get feedback from some other people.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:26 am

Okay I asked one my co-workers who I know from before. Apparently the person I met with put me the wrong department, and I wasn't suppose to listen to him, and there was a mix up.

So the people who I was suppose to work under, are under the impression that I did not show up. But I feel I am not responsible for this mix up, since no one told me who I was suppose to meet with. I was told to go there, and ask to be shown to my station and that's what I did... and I still did the work since I knew what it was.

But apparently which ever supervisor I was suppose to work under, did not meet at all and there was some sort of mix up for the day.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 4:28 am

One thing I always bear in mind for things like this... embarrassment often leads to anger.
Your boss shouldn't have reacted like he did, but probably realises he made a mistake... so he may maintain an angry persona to cover his embarrassment. Stay cool and see how it plays out... don't over-react, he's a bad boss anyway. I know that's easy to say... but I hope it works out.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 7:45 am

When the boss or coworkers or someone else does something wrong, they call it a "misunderstanding". As if it is nobody's fault

When (you or I) allegedly do something wrong, then "it's your last day". Or someone gets disproportionately angry.

Maybe you could take a videotape of everything and keep a written record of everything someone tells you

Documentation

:mrgreen: