Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:28 pm

Personally, your best bet is probably a room for over 55's with a chronic disease. There is no assumption that you have a mental illness. You're there because of your COPD.

There are also "senior apartments" which sometimes have 55 as the minimum age. Where there probably wouldn't be a curfew.

I don't believe either are like halfway houses.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 3:21 am

...Well, thank you. I don't have much juice in this phone, so I'll write in chunks, and I may repeat some. I wear sandals all the to me, really, which does show that. I wore sandals likewise when I had 9&1/2 toes, so...My crutch is perhaps not a " I absolutely cannot walk without.it " thing? but it helps, I think and could stop worse from happening, I might argue.
The bit of effort it takes for me too get up from a seated position on the bus is real, I'm known to have to try more than once to get up :(

row: tiekortie"]Personally, your best bet is probably a room for over 55's with a chronic disease. There is no assumption that you have a mental illness. You're there because of your COPD.

There are also "senior apartments" which sometimes have 55 as the minimum age. Where there probably wouldn't be a curfew.

I don't believe either are like halfway houses.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 8:35 pm

As for things getting stolen when you're homeless, almost homeless, hospitalized, some group homes, or even in an apartment where a nurse's aid comes in ... my best friend had things stolen from her ALL THE TIME despite her best efforts, and she was quite a fighter when it came to looking out for herself.

Truth is, people often take advantage of and steal from the poor.
Those kind of thieves are particularly disgusting.
They prey on the vulnerable.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...The last would be nice, Phoenix, thank you.
As for going to uni (with CC as a stepping stone for it) - yes? I would like to write (& make films? maybe) ' school could give me the credentials, and connections, and knowledge to do it.
I have no great desire to " learn a trade ". What would I learn? Especially at my age and state of health :(

I would like to read and study. A uni situation could provide me with a sitiaton where I could do that, even be admired for it :cry: .
Briefly looking it up, one possible problem re. trying to go to CC in Santa Cruz is that appears questionable that axt-oriented classes are oriented toeards: (1) The English major/liberal arts courses that I believe I'm good at (2) that offer real, transferable to a uni, credits. Furthermore, most CVS tend to concentrate on transferability to the University iceldc f California and California State University systems - but I think my yeards-back dispute with the state of California might mean that no UC or CUZ campus would admit me :o.
As far ax " learning something practical_something that would get you a job " - bluntly, I thought that, if I was ever ex-homeless? I"d maybe emulate ex-junkies that get jobs at drug agencies and dried-out drunks that get jobs at alcohol agencies and try for something at some homelessness or AS agency - not up'front, say - pushing pixels around? say, or ?If I took film.) taking care of the video stuff/room.

I've given you a longer answer in the thread called " More about my situation."

Bottom line:
I already consider you a writer. :)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm

...A real probe with me trying to write, Phoenix, is my lack of computer knowledge (and posessions) :( ! If I was to try to write something, aside from writing on boards like this one, the only?? thing I could do would be
to write things in the form of letters at my E-mail address, saving them - then returning to them when I can.
Then, sewing them together into a more " complete " ice of writing for submission or jus utting aside use would be hard - anf it would be, ply, a fairly mess, sewn together-looking piece, which would likely turn off people I submitted it to you simply because " the seams were showing " :cry: that it was not neat. With this teenny-tiny phone it's even more difficult to write more formally - But it' s all I have, barring going down to the libraries for brief use of better computers - On which I know very little, however :( .
I suppose that, if I knew more about computers, I could, even with what little zi' ve got, get more done - But I don't have the informarion/ability to do more :cry:! If someone would just help me get more knowledge :( ...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Last edited by ASS-P on 16 Nov 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:28 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...A real probe with me trying to write, Phoenix, is my lack of computer knowledge (and posessions) :( ! If I was to try to write something, aside from writing on boards like this one, the only?? thing I could do would be
to write things in the form of letters at my E-mail address, saving them - then returning to them when I can.
Then, sewing them together into a more " complete " ice of writing for submission or jus utting aside use would be hard - anf it would be, ply, a fairly mess, sewn together-looking piece, which would likely turn off people I submitted it to you simply because " the seams were showing " :cry: that it was not neat. With this teenny-tiny phone it's even more difficult to write more formally - But it' s all I have, barring going down to the libraries for brief use of better computers - On which I know very little, however :( .
I suppose that, if I knew more about computers, I could, even with what little zi' ve got, get more done - But I don't have the informarion/ability to do more :cry:@ If someone would just help me get more knowledge :( ...

I was thinking more along the lines of you starting a blog
on maybe WordPress or some other blog-hosting website,
and then you could have a PayPal donation button
so people could fund your posts.

Yes, there are obstacles to overcome,
that said, there has to be some way you could learn about creating a blog.
That is, if you'd be interested in such a thing.

And hey, even Facebook might work?
With Facebook, people are more apt to use GoFundMe instead of PayPal,
but it might be that someone else sets up the GoFundMe for you, I'm not entirely sure.
There are rules about this that need to be looked into for your situation
to see what Facebook allows.

Anyways, I'm thinking along the lines of you being a social media writer
more than a book writer.
Although nowadays, you can self-publish a book on Amazon, even e-books online,
so that possibility is open to you too.

What you really need to find is a really helpful librarian.

EDITED: Have now edited this post, this is the version I'm happy with.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 4:57 pm

the_ph

...But I would like to have more knowledge of computers! :cry:
I'm not happy that I am stuck at so little ~ I initially picked up enough knowledge to use the Internet, basically, and with just that, sort of " walked crippled " :( .

enix wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
I suppose that, if I knew more about computers, I could, even with what little zi' ve got, get more done - But I don't have the informarion/ability to do more :cry:@ If someone would just help me get more knowledge :( ...

I was thinking more along the lines of you starting a blog
on maybe WordPress or some other blog-hosting website,
and then you could have a PayPal donation button
so people could fund your posts.

Yes, there are obstacles to overcome,
that said, there has to be some way you could learn about creating a blog.
That is, if you'd be interested in such a thing.

And hey, even Facebook might work?
With Facebook, people are more apt to use GoFundMe instead of PayPal,
but it might be that someone else sets up the GoFundMe for you, I'm not entirely sure.
There are rules about this that need to be looked into for your situation
to see what Facebook allows.

Anyways, I'm thinking along the lines of you being a social media writer
more than a book writer.
Although nowadays, you can self-publish a book on Amazon, even e-books online,
so that possibility is open to you too.

What you really need to find is a really helpful librarian.

EDITED: Have now edited this post, this is the version I'm happy with.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 5:51 pm

ASS-P wrote:
the_ph

...But I would like to have more knowledge of computers! :cry:
I'm not happy that I am stuck at so little ~ I initially picked up enough knowledge to use the Internet, basically, and with just that, sort of " walked crippled " :( .

enix wrote:

I do understand what you're going through, ASS-P.

I finally had to break down and buy a webcam
because nowadays, people do job interviews over the computer.
This has been a terrifying experience,
but little by little I'm doing it (I hope).

I bought the cheapest webcam on the market
and waited a day to hook it up due to being nervous.
It was scary, but I managed to figure out how to hook it up by myself
and to even install the software, turn it on, and see myself on the computer screen!
I still need to be able to record myself speaking into a microphone ...
and I'm still scared.
Maybe tomorrow I can try figuring that out,
or I might wait until after Thanksgiving.
It should work if I hit the right button, I guess.

Yes it is hard when you're alone and trying to do things by yourself.
There are times when you need to try anyways.

Anyways, you do have talent.
I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 6:46 pm

...As I mentioned. I will probably not have much an " occasion " Thanksgiving :cry: .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 11:49 am

...You know, I DON'T know how to pictures up from the Web! :( I CAN"T pput the pictures that I can take of me with this phone up! (They're not very good pictures, but.) I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO! If only somebody would (non-cinancially) help me, increase my store of knowledge. :cry: You can"t really " go to a class " when you'ryou're in a nursing place situation that yku're technically not supposed to leave at all! :(