Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 8:47 am

Yes, there is racism in autistic support. Keep an eye on how your child is treated by their teachers, other staff, other parents, and the other kids. Sometimes it's little things and sometimes it can get serious. Ask your child a lot of questions. Keep an eye on what's going on on their transportation as well if you don't take them to school yourself. Make yourself known and be highly communicative with your child in front of all. If you are on the spectrum yourself, I understand that it can be difficult but you must do this for your child. If you experienced difficulty with a particular situation and you go around thinking that surely it must be something much more, you'll end up coming to the conclusion that it is simply racism - pure and simple. It's a shame but people are like this even in special ed. This hurts me to post but I have to because I've experienced it and still do. Just keep your eyes and ears open and think very carefully before you speak. Don't lash out in anger. The bottom line is that you have to show up for any event the classroom has that involves your child.