When your family disagrees with your career plans

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 5:24 pm

I stopped applying for jobs in my field when I finally found an apartment because my family said a place to live right now was more important. But now a job opportunity I applied for earlier wants me to seriously interview. If I got it and they are hiring 30 people all over Michigan so there could be a real chance... But my family is totally against it, my aunt forbids me to go to the interview and my husband would rather live on 735 a month than for me to loose the apartment we just got. I have to move into the apartment next Wednesday but the interview is Nov. 8th and is a three hour drive and my car is a bit unreliable and my relatives said no help from them at all.

I really want one of these jobs though and I'm a 35 yo woman and I feel like my life is being totally controlled!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2017, 1:37 am

First of all, you're a 35 year old woman. You should be entitled to your own decisions. Maybe on a side note, you should be assertive and tell your family that you have every right to go to that interview. They shouldn't and couldn't forbid you for doing so.

Anyway, if you really want to go to that interview, why not? That interview might give you good opportunities. If you're planning to go to the interview, either have your car fixed before the interview or look for alternative transport (like public transport or uber). If your family is no help, call a friend.

I hope you good luck on your endeavors and to that interview!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 6:46 am

Your aunt forbids you? I hope you told her to f%$# right off.

I can't comment on your specific situation but I can say my single biggest regret in life is following the career path others (mainly my parents) set out for me. If I had to go with my original plans, I would have grown up much faster, made a boatload more money and more importantly, actually look forward to going to work. Instead, I got an almost useless University Degree in a field I hate and work a job that I am massively overqualified for. Sure I am in better financial position that many but all I think about is all the lost potential income every day.

Pardon my bluntness but you are an adult and need to make an adult decision to look out for your own interests.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 7:14 am

This puts you in a real bind. What sort of job is this? You say they are hiring 35 people from all over Michigan. I hope this isn’t one of those “start-ups.” I hope they give W-2s, rather than 1199s.

Never work for others under a 1199. You would have less rights and pay more taxes. It’s a ripoff.

Would you lose the apartment should you get this job?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 7:40 am

Americorps... 10 month position only. I was also going to start physical therapy soon to be able to lift more weight and actually the jobs might not be suitable, I dunno.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 8:27 am

Americorps is good, if maybe menial. You’ll get valuable experience.

If you would lose the apartment, I wouldn’t go for it. Because it’s only temporary.

FerrariFan

24 Oct 2017, 1:09 pm

I don't think that I have enough information in order to really give you any valid advice.

My questions would be:

1. Is it just you and your husband or are there children? This is a big factor in my experience and should probably be the biggest factor in your decision.

2. Why is your aunt having anything to do with this decision? Has she been supporting you in any way? If not, then she can mind her own business.

3. Going to an interview is only a small part of the job hiring process. IF you pass that and can move on into the job offer, then you need to make the decision. You may leave the interview and decide that this was not the job for you or you may be absolutely in love with it. You won't know if you don't at least go check it out.

Good luck and just think about the questions I asked. You obviously don't have to post your answers, but think about them and decide for yourself.

FF

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 12:17 pm

Given all the trouble you have had about housing, I'd hang on tight to what you have gained.

You can still go to the interview and explain what your commuting limits are, and see how it goes.

Good luck!