Page 1 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2017, 10:30 pm

Muslim males do not cover themself, but muslim women do cover themself. Is this not the patriarchy?

Why are feminists not against this? They are supportive of hijab in Islam.

What i mostly dont understand however is why feminists are against hijab in christianity, how can they have such strong double moral? Why is it okay for muslim women to cover themself but not for christian women?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 10:34 pm

It depends on the feminist. Some feminists are against hijab. But I think for most, we think that it should be a woman's individual choice whether to wear a hijab or not, and that she shouldn't be judged for it.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2017, 11:39 pm

TheAP wrote:
It depends on the feminist. Some feminists are against hijab. But I think for most, we think that it should be a woman's individual choice whether to wear a hijab or not, and that she shouldn't be judged for it.

But why are feminists against hijab in christianity? Makes no sense for me why feminists are okay with hijab in islam but not with hijab in christianity.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 12:16 am

Where did you hear that feminists are against hijab in Christianity?

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 4:07 am

For myself, as a feminist, I care that other women can choose what they wear. If they choose to cover their hair, that's not a problem for me, because that's their choice. Just like, if a woman chooses to work at home as a house wife, that's fine. The key is the element of choice. If someone else is dictating what another woman does or wears, that bothers me, because if they feel comfortable infringing upon her liberty like that, it isn't much of a leap to think they'd be comfortable infringing upon my liberty. I don't want to be a housewife or cover my head in public.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 9:04 am

BetwixtBetween wrote:
For myself, as a feminist, I care that other women can choose what they wear. If they choose to cover their hair, that's not a problem for me, because that's their choice. Just like, if a woman chooses to work at home as a house wife, that's fine. The key is the element of choice. If someone else is dictating what another woman does or wears, that bothers me, because if they feel comfortable infringing upon her liberty like that, it isn't much of a leap to think they'd be comfortable infringing upon my liberty. I don't want to be a housewife or cover my head in public.

Yes, but why are feminists against hijab in christianity. If a Christian women want to wear hijab just let her do it.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 9:07 am

TheAP wrote:

Everytime there is a debate about hijab in Christianity, feminists always have negative views about it. But when it comes to hijab in other religions, feminists say only positive things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:17 am

Primarily because it's a Muslim tradition more than it is a Christian tradition.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:35 am

It is not that they are for it necessarily, it is just large part of the western world feminists the hajib is not a priority. Also, they might fear the potential consequences which could a lot more than attacking "mansplaining" for instance.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:43 am

I'm a feminist. I think hijabs are horrible.

Now imagine what it would be like if we had a clothes police whose job it would be to un-hijab women and give them fines and serious talks.

Saudi Arabia much?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 10:16 am

Because, at this time in the liberal movement, "multiculturalism" is in. Some happy hijabis raised holy hell over Western feminism trying to dictate to them what a "liberated woman" looks and dressed and lives like, and liberalism made a knee-jerk adjustment in acknowledgement of that fact.

Either that, or they cannot imagine Islamic cultural proscriptions being forced on them personally, but it's all to easy to imagine Christian cultural proscriptions becoming the law by which everyone must live.

Personally, I'm all for hijab (and, for that matter, abaya and burka if that's what works-- there are days when I'd really like to walk around in what amounts to a small personal tent with a screen over my eyes).

Provided that it's a matter of choice, made BY a woman or BETWEEN a woman and her husband or other close family member and/or trusted clergy (and not by the husband/father/etc. which the woman must obey). Not a matter of law, be it religious or civil or anything else.

Then again, I also refuse to consider myself a feminist. Generally, I find Western feminism repugnant enough that I feel morally obligated to make knee-jerk adjustments of my own, 180 degrees from whatever they're saying now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 10:20 am

If the woman chooses to wear a hijab, who am I to stop her?

If she feels forced to wear one, then that's a different story.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 11:04 am

underwater wrote:
I'm a feminist. I think hijabs are horrible.

Now imagine what it would be like if we had a clothes police whose job it would be to un-hijab women and give them fines and serious talks.

Saudi Arabia much?

Well, it wasn't too long ago that the westerners stopped clothing-policing. For example, women used to get arrested if their bathing suits were too short.
And even now, similar things are happening in the west. Like in france, where women are arrested for wearing burkinis. It's the exact same thing.
The problem isn't actually the hijab itself. It's about social injustice, more specifically; men telling women what to wear. You could argue that most women's fashion are a sort of oppression, since most women's clothing are designed by men. As a woman, you will have a hard time getting a job if you wear a hijab, but also if you're wearing men's clothing. Or if you're wearing too much makeup, or no makeup at all.
I think we should lay off the whole hijab-discussion, and just let people wear them. Because the women who wears it by choice, they are the ones who are being hurt by the "hijab is oppression"-debate. While the women who are forced to wear hijabs have much bigger problems than that, and those are the ones that we should be focusing on, not a certain piece of clothing.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 11:15 am

white_as_snow wrote:
TheAP wrote:

Everytime there is a debate about hijab in Christianity, feminists always have negative views about it. But when it comes to hijab in other religions, feminists say only positive things.

I have never heard anyone having any opinion at all on what nuns are wearing.
When it comes to christians and clothing, the only comments I have ever heard is about the pope's hat.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 12:54 pm

The hijab doesn't interfere with participation in public life in the same way as the niqab and burka do. As such, it should be down to an individual's choice.

I am in favour of banning face covering clothes in some public buildings where it's a safety concern. I wouldn't ban the niqab or burka on the streets, though.

That said, I strongly dislike patriarchal ideas about women's modesty in dress. I have nothing against modest dressing generally, but doing it because of the idea that there's something wrong with showing a woman's body is what I object to. That actually makes me angry. I dress fairly modestly myself, but that's more because of the style of clothes I like and sensory issues.