Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:31 pm

This was recommended to me as a Halloween game, and I just finished it. I get that its survival horror, but the boss battles were dang near impossible to win (don't ask me how I finally beat the garage monster after being killed by it a million times, I'm still not sure myself) and the environment constantly lethal. Its structured somewhat like a shooter, but you never have enough ammo to play it thus (I remember thinking if only I could be the Master Chief with his assault rifle, armor, and a jackhammer launcher...). The context sensivity is garbage--I'm stomping when I need to light a match. I'm grabbing a bottle off a ledge when I'm trying to climb up (this got me eaten by a sea monster 5 times!! !).

So why did I keep playing? Because the game looks and feels really cool. Its like if the Matrix were designed by the Jigsaw Killer and MC Escher after a bad acid trip.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

I remember the first time fighting the spider woman when she trapped me in the little square room, I wasn't sure what to do so I circled around like ten times before finding the latch on the floor, and when I climbed down I ran straight into the explosive line trap. Good times.

So do you plan on getting the second one?

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

modernmax wrote:
I remember the first time fighting the spider woman when she trapped me in the little square room, I wasn't sure what to do so I circled around like ten times before finding the latch on the floor, and when I climbed down I ran straight into the explosive line trap. Good times.

Mabye. Laura really doesnt take to many hits to kill with upgraded weapons, but the issue is her main attack is insta kill. I HATE insta kill attacks, espically because this game has so many bosses and mini bosses that have them (The Sadist, the Keeper, Amalgam Alpha (the garage monster), etc) and because this game can be very unfair to the player.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:40 pm

modernmax wrote:

Other thing I hated about this game--to many of the areas have a rigidly scripted series of things you must do to survive, but its not at all clear at the outset the correct path to take, so you have to learn it by trial and error, getting killed a million times in the process. The long load times after deaths suck too--almost as bad as Duke Nukem Forever was. And there are scarcely any ammo drops for the Magnum or the Submachine gun you get after beating the game the first time, and none at all for the RPG. You get 30 rockets and thats it (Im glad I looked this up online before blowing my wad with it). The damage inflicted by the RPG is good, but the splash is minimal so you cant really use it in the same way as a typical shooter RPG. Also the make you neal when using it, which sucks big time. You cant shoot and scoot, and if you used it on a boss who survived the rocket you usually have to change weapons just so you can run from them.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:05 pm

modernmax wrote:

One thing: remember Ruviks description of Lesslie? Marked developmental delays, difficulty socializing, verbal difficulties? Sound familiar?

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:38 pm

modernmax wrote:

After you get all the upgrades and have played it through so you have a good assortment of weapons and other gear, the game is much less difficult and plays much more like a zombie shooter and much less like survival horror. I actually killed the level 10 Laura and got the bathed in flames achievement. How? I used a maxed out shock bolt to immobilize her and then put 12 maxed out Magnum rounds through her. Now the Magnum is one of the games biggest power weapons, inflicting WAY more damage than even a close up shotgun shell. And I maxed its damage with the green gel. And it still took all 12 hits to put down the level 10 Laura. If you are trying to kill Laura in level 10 with the shotgun and handgun, it wont work.