Pictures of the South Bronx in the 1970's

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 11:20 am

The pictures of the South Bronx in the 1970's always interest me, they show the visual of what people had to live in at the time, when the economy was hit hard, when New York was cutting back on their public services and firing thousands of workers from the fire and police department to avoid bankruptcy, and when fires were rife in New York City, damaging buildings and causing damage to the people's lives. Here are some photos of the South Bronx during that time period:

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 26, 2017)

P.S. If this does not belong in this category of posts, I would appreciate it if a moderator would move this to it's appropriate spot. (Thank you)

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2017, 8:36 pm

It's an interesting period, but I think the most interesting part about that era is all the art that came out of New York. The city was literally decaying since families had left for the suburbs and no money was going into its infrastructure, but the benefit was that artists could live in the city for almost nothing.

The late 60s of course saw the Stonewall Riots, which were really early LGBT protests. It also had the Warhol art scene.

Hip Hop first emerged in The Bronx around '73, among the Jamaican immigrant population. Discos were popular, but they cost a lot of money to get into, so people would just get boom boxes and throw block parties, dancing in the street. The Jamaicans brought with them dub techniques from reggae, which included manipulating records to make them repeat the catchiest parts of the songs, emphasize the bass and percussion, and "scratch" records. Street poetry was popular too, especially with people like Gil-Scott Heron and The Last Poets. So people literally recited poetry to the dub music, and hip hop was born. They created their own street dance, now known as break dancing, and their own style of graffiti art.

Punk emerged about a year later in Manhattan's lower east side. It had its roots in post-Warhol/Velvet Underground art bands like the New York Dolls and Suicide. But since no record companies were looking for local talent since everyone was obsessed with California, locals just started forming their own bands and playing at clubs, like the Ramones and The Dictators. There were also a lot of poets and artists gravitating toward New York because of Warhol and Beat poets like Burroughs and Ginsberg, and these poets and artists also found a home with this local rock scene, forming bands like Talking Heads, Television, and the Patti Smith Group. Notably, one of these poets, Richard Hell, was interested in looking as outrageous as possible, so he started spiking his hair, ripping his shirts, and putting safety pins everywhere, inadvertently inventing the punk look.

Disco also emerged pretty much at the exact same time. But local disco was a lot different than the pop music of the time. Since they weren't designing it for the radio, they just made a purely functional style for dancing, which was all about a repetitive beat; this style eventually evolved into house music, and EDM more generally.

I also think there was a Cuban music revival in New York at the time, but I don't know much about it, except that the punk band Mink DeVille seem to have been into it.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 3:17 am

Luckily The Warriors saved that city by showing what would happen if they let the city fall into poverty and get overrun by gangs.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 8:09 am

Amebix wrote:
Punk emerged about a year later in Manhattan's lower east side. It had its roots in post-Warhol/Velvet Underground art bands like the New York Dolls and Suicide. But since no record companies were looking for local talent since everyone was obsessed with California, locals just started forming their own bands and playing at clubs, like the Ramones and The Dictators. There were also a lot of poets and artists gravitating toward New York because of Warhol and Beat poets like Burroughs and Ginsberg, and these poets and artists also found a home with this local rock scene, forming bands like Talking Heads, Television, and the Patti Smith Group. Notably, one of these poets, Richard Hell, was interested in looking as outrageous as possible, so he started spiking his hair, ripping his shirts, and putting safety pins everywhere, inadvertently inventing the punk look.

Yes, there were a lot of punk bands starting off in CBGB's, who got good later on.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 6:31 pm

If you have not seen this documentry yet I recommend you find a hour and a half to view it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If you have not seen this documentry yet I recommend you find a hour and a half to view it.

Ah yes, I watched that documentary! ;)

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:13 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Ah yes, I watched that documentary! ;)

It was really in depth in telling what was going on in the city at the time, which is what I liked about it.

Last bumped by LegoMaster2149 on 02 Nov 2017, 2:13 pm.