Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

I remember watching this as a child and it was very culturally different to what was usually shown on the other 2 or 3 channels we had at the time.
Monkey,Pigsy and Sandy, along with Tripitaka and the horse. Travelling on a mission and getting into trouble, usually because one of the group caused it.
Marvellous stuff. It can still be watched on youtube.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 3:25 am

Loved Monkey.
One of the few regular programs I watched as a kid.
Buddhism, demons, flying clouds that looked so obviously fake - it had a real charm to it, though.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 5:33 am

Ha, yes. That takes me back.
Can't remember what happened in any of the episodes, I just have this picture in my head of monkey twirling his staff, pigsy snorting, and the monk sitting on a horse being unflappable.
Is my memory playing up, or did the monk used to keep touching a finger to his nose? I never understood what that meant.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 7:19 am

Thank you guys for responding to this - I thought I would be the only one.

Not sure about the nose thing but I know that Tripitaka used to mind squeeze Monkey when he was being naughty to teach him a lesson.

I am going to watch them all again from the beginning, just waiting for them to arrive.

I remember waiting patiently as a child for the next episode and getting my cola and pizza ready to sit in front of the telly.

We didn't get all the episodes over here so I am looking forward to watching the ones I missed.

I love to revisit my childhood.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Loved Monkey.
One of the few regular programs I watched as a kid.
Buddhism, demons, flying clouds that looked so obviously fake - it had a real charm to it, though.

I just started watching these again and they are even more funny than I remember.

There are also some words/actions which would be politically incorrect as well as inappropriate for children these days - I can overlook these as it was 1979.

Did you know that Tripitaka's horse was a dragon which accidentally ate his original horse so humbly took it's place?
(I just found this out today)

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Ha, yes. That takes me back.
Can't remember what happened in any of the episodes, I just have this picture in my head of monkey twirling his staff, pigsy snorting, and the monk sitting on a horse being unflappable.
Is my memory playing up, or did the monk used to keep touching a finger to his nose? I never understood what that meant.

The monk has a way of controlling Monkey by tightening the gold headband on his head and giving him brain pain. The headband was a gift by Buddha.

Btw, I got Tooth and Claw from the library today so I am going to get my teeth into this later.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 7:20 pm

I loved Monkey as a kid ( still do ) , also loved The Water Margin.

Have you see the Monkey: Journey to the West - an opera composed by Damon Albarn

I know it might not be your cup of tea and not as nostalgic but Jamie Hewlett ( Tank Girl artist ) did some great work for the opera

And if it seems familiar but you can't place it - it was the UK advertising campaign for the 2008 Olympics

I'm outta Monkey facts for now :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 9:49 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I loved Monkey as a kid ( still do ) , also loved The Water Margin.

Have you see the Monkey: Journey to the West - an opera composed by Damon Albarn

I know it might not be your cup of tea and not as nostalgic but Jamie Hewlett ( Tank Girl artist ) did some great work for the opera

And if it seems familiar but you can't place it - it was the UK advertising campaign for the 2008 Olympics

I'm outta Monkey facts for now :lol:

Hello SaveFerris,

I cannot remember The Water Margin but I am sure it was good to watch.

I think any other version of Monkey would be lost on me. I believe they have made a new version for TV (2017) but it will never be the same as the original in my eyes. The actors were so funny and made it work.

I watched the first few episodes again the other day and they were still very entertaining. I have plenty of time to savour them too.

It is nice coming back to this thread as some of the other threads I have been reading have been giving me a headache. I quite like light talks at times. Evens things out for me.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 8:03 am

Temeraire wrote:

Hello SaveFerris,

I think any other version of Monkey would be lost on me. I believe they have made a new version for TV (2017) but it will never be the same as the original in my eyes. The actors were so funny and made it work.

I watched the first few episodes again the other day and they were still very entertaining. I have plenty of time to savour them too.

It is nice coming back to this thread as some of the other threads I have been reading have been giving me a headache. I quite like light talks at times. Evens things out for me.

The Water Margin was not as good as Monkey but as a 10 year old it was the 2nd best thing on TV ( Monkey was the first ).

I'll have to check out the new version but I agree it won't have the same flavour , reboots & remakes rarely do.

You should definitely hang out in the lighter areas of this forum if it's stressing you , lots of places to play games or reminisce about TV Films etc.

I have all the episodes of Monkey and would love to watch it all again although I know if I start to watch it I won't stop ( I would binge the entire series ).

I had to remove the Monkey theme from my phone ( it was my ringtone ) as it was annoying too many people :lol:

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 6:29 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

Hello SaveFerris,

The Water Margin was not as good as Monkey but as a 10 year old it was the 2nd best thing on TV ( Monkey was the first ).

I'll have to check out the new version but I agree it won't have the same flavour , reboots & remakes rarely do.

You should definitely hang out in the lighter areas of this forum if it's stressing you , lots of places to play games or reminisce about TV Films etc.

I have all the episodes of Monkey and would love to watch it all again although I know if I start to watch it I won't stop ( I would binge the entire series ).

I had to remove the Monkey theme from my phone ( it was my ringtone ) as it was annoying too many people :lol:

I like the idea of a the Monkey theme on my phone - would turn a few or raise a few eyebrows.

Remakes never seem to capture the original essence of a film/series - I am watching Poltergeist (2015) tonight, hoping the visual effects will be better and of course it is in HD.

I have been rationing myself coming on here today as I thought I was spending too much time here and not doing things which give me balance. The garden brought me this today making the most of a sunny day.

I was tempted to binge Monkey but I want to make them last - like a favourite packet of biscuits.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Temeraire wrote:

I was tempted to binge Monkey but I want to make them last - like a favourite packet of biscuits.

The only way I can make a packet of biscuits last is by not opening them :lol:

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 4:39 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

The only way I can make a packet of biscuits last is by not opening them :lol:

Or not buy them in the first place. Ha.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 12:08 pm

Check this out Tem

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6807662/

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:18 pm

I have never seen the TV series but I loved the book.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:48 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Is this a new series?
If so cool.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:50 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I have never seen the TV series but I loved the book.

I never read the book but I can imagine you would get more detail.