Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:03 am

For any drummers here: I highly recommend Gavin Harrison's paradiddle challenge. I came across it the other day and started practicing it almost immediately. It's challenging but ridiculously fun and satisfying.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:20 am

Oh gosh...I tried going through the drum training stuff in one of the video games one time (Beatles Rock Band I think?) and about halfway through I never wanted to hear the word "paradiddle" ever again @_@

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:17 am

Practiced again yesterday. I think I overdid the barre chords because I woke up with a pretty bad cramp in my left hand >_<

Also a little spooked, because I had stopped playing when I heard a man and a woman upstairs talking (maybe right outside?), but it turns out that nobody had stopped over 8O

Sometimes I wish I had a closed-circuit camera so I could know for sure if a neighbor was being irate, or if it was just ghosts (as usual).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm

I'm actually starting to feel comfortable freestyling - the big change was getting better at stringing together rhymes that last for more than two of four bars.

The only downside is that now people wonder why I'm walking around making death threats to myself constantly.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm

I practiced again today. I decided to go back and do some stuff from the books I got for the class I took.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 2:12 am

I'm starting to be more comfortable keeping on top of the beat instead of the really inconsistent tempo I always had when singing. Who knows, even if I never get good at rapping this might help make me a better singer as well. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 10:14 am

Maybe it's a little too early, but I felt like jamming some Christmas carols yesterday ¬_¬

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 2:09 pm

I've been putting in some uncharacteristically disciplined work on the piano. J.S. Bach's English Suite no 5 in E minor. I've always really struggled with Bach before, but I seem to finally have the technique to handle it. Middle 4 movements are passable now, and I'm getting somewhere with the last. The problem is the prelude: it's "easier" technically but it's just relentless, in 9 pages I've only found two places where I have a hand free for an instant to turn the pages!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 5:45 pm

I finally got a guitar tuner! I think I'd tuned my guitar off of a string that wasn't tuned properly, so everything sounded funky before and I didn't know how to fix it without a tuner. So today I got it tuned properly and did some chord work.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:38 pm

Bump :)

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 2:26 pm

Bump again.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2018, 7:19 am

I finally adjusted the bridge on my p-bass and did some recording on Saturday. Wanted to do more stuff on Sunday, but I came down with something, and just laid on the couch feeling nauseous all day =(

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I finally got a guitar tuner! I think I'd tuned my guitar off of a string that wasn't tuned properly, so everything sounded funky before and I didn't know how to fix it without a tuner. So today I got it tuned properly and did some chord work.

Yay =) I've never been good at tuning without a tuner...even using a keyboard, or those websites that play the tones for you, I would always have at least one string that was off enough to be noticeable. But it's good to be able to do it, for instance if you're playing live and need to fix a string in a pinch.