Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2017, 2:02 pm

Hi! I'm new here. I'm 34, married mother of two (though I still feel like a teenager most of the time).

My husband and I both think I probably have Aspergers or some form of it. I've been diagnosed with ADHD since I was a child and it never went away.

I have trouble making friends with "normal" people since I always feeling like everyone is judging me. I am uncomfortable with eye contact, people being too close, people touching me, etc. I have 2 close friends that I've known for many years, both on the odd side, but they live across the country and we only actually talk every few months (not counting talking online). I've tried making friends with other moms in my area but I think they just think I'm weird or rude or don't fit in. I honestly have trouble getting invested in other people and listening since I get bored. It's horrible when I say it out loud.

I get obsessed with things very easily. When I was younger I would learn every detail about every thing I was obsessed with and then move on to the next thing. My obsessions now come and go in waves and they can last a day, a few hours, or come back intermittently.

I'm self employed in a creative industry so that makes me happy. I get to pretend every day and not see people. Lol

When I was younger I was on the verge of becoming a hoarder since I get emotionally attached to things. My husband is a neat freak so he keeps things organized. My purse on the other hand is scary.

I have trouble hearing people when there are other things going on. Like in a bar or event or even if the tv is on. It's very uncomfortable because I don't want to ask the other person to shout since I can't hear. But I'm also sensitive to noises like vacuums and drills. I can hear the tiniest noise on the other side of the house. It doesn't even make sense. I also don't like the feeling of dry skin or my husband touching my foot or lightly rubbing my arm. It makes me get horrible shivers.

I also have trouble putting other people first and always let my interests get in the way. I'm working on it though. I'm mostly determined to be a better wife because I have trouble seeing things from my husbands point of view. He bought me a new phone for my birthday and I had a meltdown and cried on the couch because I didn't want a new phone. Not cool.

I'm looking to find someone local to see if I can get an official diagnosis since I think it will be a step towards functioning better.

Well I'll stop rambling now. Nice to meet you all! I'm hoping that I can find my way a little more!

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

BCTucker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2017, 2:12 pm

Hi! I'm also new! We sound similar in a few ways, but especially the noises! I swear I can hear the LED light blinking on the printer when it's out of paper, but I can't hear my boyfriend talk in a normal voice over the TVs and conversations at a sports bar....lol. And you mentioned dry skin, funny I was just realizing yesterday that I can't stand my skin being wet! Unfortunately, I also have the meltdowns over inappropriate things. I can't remember what it was, but my boyfriend tried to do something nice for me recently (like your new phone) and I lost it because I didn't want it done yet or not that way or something. It's nice to know I'm not alone in those things! Welcome!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 2:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 1:53 am

Hello and welcome! You're in the right for sure because most of us Autistics feel like children too and many of us also suffer from OCD, ADHD and several other Autism-related maladies. :lol:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2017, 5:55 pm

I've had a rough week. Trying to get an official diagnosis has become my latest obsession and it's all I can think about from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep. I'm just going through the motions of everything else and my mind is focused on this instead. I haven't even tried working this week. I had to talk to someone on the phone a few days ago and I was shaking afterwards. I spoke to my therapist and he says I could have Aspergers but he has only 2 aspie patients and neither one of them present like me. He doesn't want to label me right away as he would rather just treat my symptoms first. I even brought him a checklist of Aspergers symptoms in adult females which I calculated my symptoms as matching 92.45% of the list. I go back in in a few days so hopefully he will go over my list and say yes or no to a diagnosis so I can move on with my life.

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 7:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I am also a mother (of grown children) and grandmother (of 5 children) and most of us are also on the spectrum, as is my son-in-law. I hope you will find support, inspiration, companionship and knowledge here that will be of lasting value.

Validity studies on the accuracy of diagnosis are a bit patchy, though they tend to indicate that there is a considerable rate of unreliability, especially with women, and those studies match the reports of many of the female members here, who have experienced considerable difficulty (and distress) from missed diagnoses and wrong diagnoses. Part of the reason for this is that much of the general research on ASD is normed on male samples, and clinicians do not seem to factor in that gender bias (or even know about it). While I wish you an easier diagnosis journey, please don't be discouraged if you find that perseverance on your part becomes part of the journey.

In the Women's forum there are some resource threads and books for AS women and if you want to specifically discuss women's diagnostic issues, it may be helpful to open a thread there in due course.