Anyone here have bipolar tendencies/strong irritability?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 7:18 pm

...or intense mood swings?

I'm starting to believe very strongly these days like there's a kind of "uber-aspie" who is on the autism spectrum AND has an irritability-provoking mood disorder on top of it, where the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

People who have only mood disorders, even in connection with quite bad chronic illness, but who are neurotypical otherwise can (it seems) develop on a near-normal timetable, have friends, even have girl/boyfriends at a relatively typical age. Similarly, I've met other aspies who don't have this additional issue, and they're calmer, less intensely bitter about life, and just in general doing better even when they have fewer intellectual gifts and worse family situations.

But if you're awkward AND moody, especially in a way that makes it seem you have a "chip on your shoulder", well then it seems you're totally out of luck having satisfying relationships, especially romantic ones. Therefore, I'd really like to meet some aspie women (and guys) who are struggling with additional mood issues.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 8:05 pm

Yes I have autism and am moody. Well less moody these days because I dont do anything. But if I had to work Id be a mess.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 2:17 am

I'm perpetually pissed off, yes. Recently, edging into meltdown-inducing rage for the first time in a long time.
I have two explanations, neither of which is a personality disorder, and might be helpful to you -
1. The presence of a primary stressor continually irritates me, keeping my sense of irritation constantly inflamed like an allergy. It doesn't take much, then, to push me over the edge because that stressor is already taking up 3/4 of my ability to stay calm. When I am away from that stressor, I find that I am more able to be equitable about other things without losing my shite. But often, if the primary stressor is still involved in life in any way that is infringing on my awareness, I don't even have to be physically exposed for it to affect me.
2. Once I identified this primary stressor, and the fact that it keeps me at 3/4 of capacity to cope all the time leaving very little room for anything else to be absorbed before rage, my solution is to remove this primary stressor from life as much as possible, and see if that assists. If the rage subsides, then yes. If still pissed off, then further investigation required.
Not everything has to be some kind of illness. It could just be conditions in life, something constantly wearing away at you, making it very difficult to remain equitable because so much of your tolerance is already spoken for. Could there be such a condition for you? Really targeting what your problem actually is when you're generally moody or pissed off all the time helps, in my opinion. Then you can work directly on that, and allow everything else to smooth out in the wake of its removal.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 6:38 pm

biostructure wrote:
...or intense mood swings?

I'm starting to believe very strongly these days like there's a kind of "uber-aspie" who is on the autism spectrum AND has an irritability-provoking mood disorder on top of it, where the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

People who have only mood disorders, even in connection with quite bad chronic illness, but who are neurotypical otherwise can (it seems) develop on a near-normal timetable, have friends, even have girl/boyfriends at a relatively typical age. Similarly, I've met other aspies who don't have this additional issue, and they're calmer, less intensely bitter about life, and just in general doing better even when they have fewer intellectual gifts and worse family situations.

But if you're awkward AND moody, especially in a way that makes it seem you have a "chip on your shoulder", well then it seems you're totally out of luck having satisfying relationships, especially romantic ones. Therefore, I'd really like to meet some aspie women (and guys) who are struggling with additional mood issues.

I've been depressed about 99% of my life, and I always seem to be in a pissed off mood. I hide my anger by being "harmless" or funny. Most people just see me as weird anyway.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 5:11 am

Yes, it sucks.

I think I have myself externally under control, mostly. Back end is still not great, but I think I might be able to fake my way into being motivated and “happy.” Not that I really understand that anymore, too much existential brooding.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2017, 3:57 pm

C2V wrote:
I'm perpetually pissed off, yes. Recently, edging into meltdown-inducing rage for the first time in a long time.
I have two explanations, neither of which is a personality disorder, and might be helpful to you -
1. The presence of a primary stressor continually irritates me, keeping my sense of irritation constantly inflamed like an allergy. It doesn't take much, then, to push me over the edge because that stressor is already taking up 3/4 of my ability to stay calm. When I am away from that stressor, I find that I am more able to be equitable about other things without losing my shite. But often, if the primary stressor is still involved in life in any way that is infringing on my awareness, I don't even have to be physically exposed for it to affect me.
2. Once I identified this primary stressor, and the fact that it keeps me at 3/4 of capacity to cope all the time leaving very little room for anything else to be absorbed before rage, my solution is to remove this primary stressor from life as much as possible, and see if that assists. If the rage subsides, then yes. If still pissed off, then further investigation required.
Not everything has to be some kind of illness. It could just be conditions in life, something constantly wearing away at you, making it very difficult to remain equitable because so much of your tolerance is already spoken for. Could there be such a condition for you? Really targeting what your problem actually is when you're generally moody or pissed off all the time helps, in my opinion. Then you can work directly on that, and allow everything else to smooth out in the wake of its removal.

I totally agree with this. I can be moody a lot of the time and this sums up what causes me to be moody