Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2017, 10:39 am

I just bought a new computer but didn't realize until I got it home that it can't connect wirelessly to the internet. I have to connect it to my router with an ethernet cable. I've always had my router in the living room but since my computer room has the same kind of internet cable thing I moved it back there. Only now it doesn't work. My old computer and phone can pick it up but not connect to it. I moved it back to the living room and suddenly I have internet again but that doesn't help my new computer. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the cable itself. Does anyone know what to do? Is this something I can fix myself or do I have to pay a technician to come out and fix it for me?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 11:45 am

The ethernet cable where it works would be connected to your internet providers equipment. If you have the same kind of cable in your house, then you would need to connect the other end to the equipment where the currently working cable is connected.

If the cable from where you need it goes to where the end of the working cable is, you could get an ethernet switch (about $20 or less) and plug both into it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Nov 2017, 6:20 am

You could try getting a wireless internet adapter for the comp & leaving the modem & router where they are. The adapters should be cheaper than paying for a tech to come out unless you have the insurance with your cable provider to cover certain things.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:21 pm

nick007 wrote:
You could try getting a wireless internet adapter for the comp & leaving the modem & router where they are. The adapters should be cheaper than paying for a tech to come out unless you have the insurance with your cable provider to cover certain things.

Very true. Not all routers can do that, though. He could get a Ubiquiti AirRouter for about $30 to $35 and set it up as a station to pick up the signal from the others.

To OP: If you get a Ubiquiti AirRouter, let me know and I can help you with the configuration for it. Or you could tell me what you need and I can configure one here and then send you the configuration. All you would need to do is upload it to the router.