From parents' perspective ... most needed services?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Most important fields?/Fields that could benefit most from more understanding?
Speech Pathology/Audiology 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Psychology/Psychiatry 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nursing 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Emergency Medicine 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Internal Medicine/General Practitioners 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Education 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Neuropsychology/Evaluation and Testing 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

Hi everyone! I'll be going to college next year and I'm planning on majoring in either communication sciences and disorders, neuroscience, cognitive science, or nursing with a minor in either disability studies, computer science, or special education. I plan on going to grad/possibly med school. I want to work with kids and adults with all kinds of developmental disabilities but a focus on ASD. I feel that I'm well suited to a number of medical and therapy fields, so I wanted to hear from parents where you think dedicated people with an innate understanding of ASD are most needed.

Also if I major in CSD I'm planning on going into speech pathology and specializing in AAC/assistive technology and if I go into nursing I plan on being either a developmental disabilities nurse (not a super fleshed out career path there aren't really officially certifications but they tend to work under developmental behavioral pediatricians) or an advanced practice psychiatric nurse.

No matter what I do, I plan on doing ASD research once I have experience in the field and can get a research position. I want to research issues that are important to the community not cure research. Thanks for reading, answer away!