India’s Supreme Court favors seperating autistic students

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 12:38 am

Why No Separate Schools For Children Suffering From Autism, Asks Supreme Court

Quote:
The Supreme Court has questioned the lack of separate schools and distinctly trained teachers for students who suffer from autism, blindness and deafness.

The apex court observed that it is "impossible to think" that children, who are disabled or suffer from any kind of disability or are mentally challenged, can be imparted education in mainstream schools along with normal children.
A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra said that access to education has now been regarded as a fundamental right under Article 21A and there was a statutory obligation on the States to provide education under the Rights of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009.

We are of the prima facie view that the children with special needs have to be imparted education not only by special teachers but there have to be special schools for them," the bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud, said.

The bench asked the Uttar Pradesh government to file an affidavit keeping its observation in mind in four weeks and specify when the state is going to meet the obligation.

It listed the matter for further hearing on November 27.

"When we say 'disability', we do not mean 'disability' as has been defined in the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016. The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 includes certain physical disabilities which may not be a warrant for getting admission in special schools," the bench said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman