Men should advertise lack of social skill in dating profiles

Page 3 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

sly279 wrote:
Women being overweight doesn’t seem to be a negative anymore, a lot of fat women proudly say they fat and like being fat and yiu just have to accept it or move on. But most fat women get skinny men. It’s oddd to me.

I suppose what's socially acceptable might come, go, find niche support communities, but what keeps a person single or feeling jaded for lack of attention from the opposite sex seems to be persistent. There can be loads of body-positive feminists, enough to give each other mutual support, and yet they're still hurt on the dating market. 'Nice guys' TM are another area where all kinds of guys could pat each other on the back for 'finishing last' but it still didn't change their prospects. Seems like for a lot of guys in the later group their fifth stage of grief - ie. acceptance - lead to MGTOW getting big.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 3:00 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Women being overweight doesn’t seem to be a negative anymore, a lot of fat women proudly say they fat and like being fat and yiu just have to accept it or move on. But most fat women get skinny men. It’s oddd to me.

I suppose what's socially acceptable might come, go, find niche support communities, but what keeps a person single or feeling jaded for lack of attention from the opposite sex seems to be persistent. There can be loads of body-positive feminists, enough to give each other mutual support, and yet they're still hurt on the dating market. 'Nice guys' TM are another area where all kinds of guys could pat each other on the back for 'finishing last' but it still didn't change their prospects. Seems like for a lot of guys in the later group their fifth stage of grief - ie. acceptance - lead to MGTOW getting big.

What? Fat women get thin guys. That’s not feminist patting each other’s backs that’s the majority of men being re-educated to accept fatness in women as normal and ok.
Go back 40years do you think most men non less thin women would date fat women?
Fat women aren’t hurting in the dating market they able to get the same men thin women want. Only reason I can think is the women fat movement worked and changed societies views of fat women. It’s a shame they didn’t do it for fat men. But they only cared about women. :( same with feminism. How any man can support either movement when they only fight for and support women is confusing to me.

As for me i dont know how much if me finding fat women attractive is from that movement (started before I was born) or just me being more open naturally.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 3:18 pm

Sly, I’m really sorry, but it’s simply not true that fat men have had the prejudice and societal pressure women have.

People don’t have to like fat women, it’s their right.

I did a social experiment and went into some weight loss centres. Not once did I see one male sitting in there in those crowded rooms.

The pressure on women to be thin is absolutely insane. Look at that jackass sometime world, he doesn’t have to date fat women, but he also treats them as lesser people, or disgusing creatures. His opinion is extremely common in men.

Men and women aren’t the same, each has their own difficulties.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Sly, I’m really sorry, but it’s simply not true that fat men have had the prejudice and societal pressure women have.

I did a social experiment and went into some weight loss centres. Not once did I see one male sitting in there in those crowded rooms.

The pressure on women to be thin is absolutely insane. Look at that jackass sometime world, he doesn’t have to date fat women, but he also treats them as lesser people, or disgusing creatures. His opinion is extremely common in men.

Most men in my office are doing diet and registered in weight loss centers that provide them food.

NZ is weird if you don't even know a one male who does weight loss activities.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:09 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Most men in my office are doing diet and registered in weight loss centers that provide them food.

NZ is weird if you don't even know a one male who does weight loss activities.

I’m talking about desperate, last ditch efforts, like Jenny Craig and Weight watchers.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

Sometime World wrote:
I grew up in an environment where a lack of social skills -- or perceived* lack of -- was an absolute killer if you were a guy. Girls/women wouldn't touch you with a barge pole, and you'd find them more likely talking to the ducks at the local feeding pond than to you.

(* unattractive / no friends / unpopular = perceived lack of social skills even though it might not be true)

I wouldn’t touch you with a barge pole, and it’s because of your personality. I’m sure many men here wouldn’t touch me either for mine, but just stop blaming superficial things for everything. God forbid people not liking you for something not shallow.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:13 pm

sly279 wrote:
Only reason I can think is the women fat movement worked and changed societies views of fat women.

This could get dodgy if I go off into controversial speculations but I think what happens - men have a drive that builds up and they're much more impelled than women. Men have to take what's there, women might feel like being in their 30's is like having a cheese-grater scraping their brain but it seems like - at least from what I'm seeing - they're far more stalwart in not caving their standards on whether a guy's a winner or loser, and some (I really hope its just an unfortunate and overblown minority) keep exchanging-up until they reach over the top of what they can have and end up by themselves or in a situation where they have to either again grab from a much lower social echelon of guys than they ever would have wanted to or, alternatively, hold their pride and go it alone.

I think the point I was making wasn't over which downside, ie. the downside for men or the downside for women, had more elasticity based on gender dynamics but really I was trying to say that there's stuff both sexes either can't get away with or have their prospects similarly impaired by.

As for social construction - there are cultures, particularly where food is very scarce, that extra weight can be seen as a symbol of power and wealth so by association it becomes attractive. Admittedly I don't know how that works and I have no clue what it would be like to operate in that manner but I really doubt that anything unhealthy can be made attractive for its own sake based on how attraction seems to work as a 'rate my genes' even in the face of some cultural demands to the contrary. I am aware that standards for disability vary across cultures, apparently China has tonality in it's language and people who are tone-deaf in China have fewer children because it's a stand-out and noticeable disability. I suppose its not impossible to change culture, change social dominance hierarchies, and change what people are attracted to somewhat in the way those hierarchies built or how they rate their members for status but I do think that the effect would be weaker and more mutable outside that culture - at least on my own observations and anecdotes - if that alteration of preference cuts against the grain of what's actually healthy in more purely natural world rather than that of social constructs. You see people break social constructs when the hierarchies begin to tremble and the behaviors they fall back on are generally atavism of some kind, so by that token I tend to have more faith in people's inherent instincts winning in a conflict should they be called into question against a social build of some kind.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Society expects men to be thin muscular with a six pack. Like celebrities and professional athletes.

We don’t have wieght lose centers here. Men usually just diet and hit the gym.
That’s what I’m doing. I’ve cut 400 calories a day. Down to 254 pounds from 280 in 3 months. Aiming for 200 I guess :cry:

I dont know it’s not common here I see lots and lots of fat women, like n****r round then me, with thin muscular guys. So at lest here men who call fat women disgusting or other cruel words are the minority. However both men and women call fat men such things. It’s okey to be fat as a woman but not ok for men to be fat.

I doubt I’ll ever have a sIx pack, I’m quite worried I’ll look freaky at 200 pounds. Doctors and marines didn’t want me to go that low. But oh well. I’ll probably have slated belly and ribs showing :( I can feel my ribs and they aren’t even with my waist. So it doesn’t seem like I can be thin with flat belly even with my chest and waist. :s but society says I have to be 180pounds.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:20 pm

Also, 254 pounds isn’t even close to being a fat man. :P that’s tiny, especially for someone your height.

I think the problem is your warped body image. You’re blaming being really fat, but you don’t sound fat at all. I used to be like that. I’m the chubbiest I’ve been but also the most content.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:45 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Also, 254 pounds isn’t even close to being a fat man. :P that’s tiny, especially for someone your height.

I think the problem is your warped body image. You’re blaming being really fat, but you don’t sound fat at all. I used to be like that. I’m the chubbiest I’ve been but also the most content.

Everyone here tells me I’m fat . My friends use to tell me I’m fat, women on am I ugly said I was fat.

I can share pictures in pm if you want.

I never saw myself as thst fat but others do so I’m losing wieght as fast as I can.

I am hideous in the face though . And I’m not thin never been thin.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

sly279 wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Everyone here tells me I’m fat . My friends use to tell me I’m fat, women on am I ugly said I was fat.

I can share pictures in pm if you want.

I never saw myself as thst fat but others do so I’m losing wieght as fast as I can.

If you could share it, I would be interested to know. You don’t have to.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 1:00 pm

sly279 wrote:

If there are fewer fat men than fat women you'll see more couples where the woman is fat and the man slim than the other way around. It's a matter of women having slower metabolism and less tendency towards physically active hobbies and work. Some men are attracted to fat women but most prefer slim women.
I've seen both couples with fat women and slim maen as well as the other way around. The combination fat woman slim man seems a bit more common, but not enough to seem odd taking into consideration that there are more fat women than fat men.

sly279 wrote:

Didn't you share some pictures already a couple of months ago on WP? If I'm remembering correctly and this actually was you, you were chubby back then, but aside from that your face looked average, so no not hideous.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 6:49 pm

Apparently I need to get down to 150 pounds

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 3:02 am

sly279 wrote:

Not 100% sure if this is a response to my comment, but it'd seem so.

In case it's a response to my comment, how does me saying you looked chubby some months ago at 280 pounds mean you need to get down to 150? You'd be underweight at 150 pounds. If you decide to take everything as an insult people will always insult you because that'll be the only part of their comment you'll see.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:38 am

NorthWind wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Not 100% sure if this is a response to my comment, but it'd seem so.

In case it's a response to my comment, how does me saying you looked chubby some months ago at 280 pounds mean you need to get down to 150? You'd be underweight at 150 pounds. If you decide to take everything as an insult people will always insult you because that'll be the only part of their comment you'll see.

Nope I was just googling height and weight and 18% BMI which is normal apparently is 150 pounds :( anything under that is underweight.
Though some other guys at that wieght were asking how to gain weight.

Don’t short thin women wieght 100 pounds and I’m suppose to be 50 pounds more ? :s

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:51 am

This obsession with weight is ridiculous. I've seen many chubby/fat people get it on passionately with each other, and with thinner people of all genders.

There aren't many guys with 6-packs. There aren't many women who look like models.

Sly doesn't look that bad. Certainly not "hideous." He looks about average.

It's better for your health not to be obese; but to obsess about being 20 lbs overweight, and think of it as tragic, is ridiculous.

Sly would look emaciated at 150 lbs, close to emaciated at 180.