Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

bigbadbeast2018
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2017, 6:27 am

i am looking for an operating system for my pc.
it is a dell optiplex 9010
i3 9010
4gb ram (can easily upgrade if need be)

Windows 10 just bsods's about usb drivers so that isn't and option
tried windows 7 BSOD's when i try yo install the usb 3 drivers
I need something that just works right out of the box
I won't be gaming on this system just web browsing youtube videos ect
any ideas? Linux? Unix?

ejb1123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2017, 7:21 am

Wow im surprissed to see that both windows 10 and windows 7 BSOD. I would try ubuntu linux, or Ubuntu Mate.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:50 pm

I find both Linux and Unix (BSD) to be considerably more stable than Windows.

I have computers here that run 24 hours a day for months without a hiccup. If it weren't for occasional power outages, I wouldn't be surprised if we had uptimes on the order of years.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 4:11 am

I would consider checking your hardware. Windows 7 and 10 are both quite stable operating systems.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:17 am

Hardware can be a problem as mentioned above, if you are willing to give up gaming and only have access to a few ported games on Steam, *nix OS could work out fine for you.

For now i prefer Windows myself and i usually keep my laptop running for days without any problems (8.1 on current, had 7 on the last) but i only use Windows because i'm a gamer. The same day Linux get proper DX/OpenGL, Steam support and properly ported games, i'm leaving.

For me an OS is a tool, not a crusade. I stopped crusading and grew up - just so you know where i'm standing in the whole OS debate.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:42 pm

Debian

Ichinin wrote:
For now i prefer Windows myself and i usually keep my laptop running for days without any problems (8.1 on current, had 7 on the last) but i only use Windows because i'm a gamer. The same day Linux get proper DX/OpenGL, Steam support and properly ported games, i'm leaving.

Linux will never get "enough" attention if gamers keep using Windows.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 6:45 am

RushKing wrote:
Debian
Ichinin wrote:

True but it's a "chicken-and-egg" problem, since there is little support and focus on gaming from the Linux devs (read the roadmaps from the devs, all they talk about is servers), there wont be any support for Linux as a gaming platform. Linux can still be a viable stable platform if the end user is like the OP and don't play games.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:27 pm

RushKing wrote:
Debian
Ichinin wrote:

The gamers will go where the money is. Windows outsells all the other operating systems put together.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:44 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Windows outsells all the other operating systems put together.

Windows has less than 50% of the overall market. Don't forget all the smart phones and tablets out there. Windows only leads on desktop machines.