A conso!e that plays thousands of games

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 2:58 pm

Did you people know you can get consoles on eBay called Raspberry Pi 3 that can play SNES, Genesis, Master System, NES, Atari 2600 and more games all on one console? And that they come with built in games?

I only just found out. Pretty amazing when you have a look how much more expensive it is to buy the cartridges and individual systems.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 3:47 pm

PCs can do that.

but that is still interesting.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 7:53 am

The NES can play thousands of games ;)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 12:51 pm

Emulators have been around for a very long time. The first I remember playing extensively with was ZSNES back in 1997. Good times. Netplay with Super Mario Kart, Super Puyo Puyo 2, and Kirby's Dream Course was a blast.

Nowadays I have a GPD Win to do all my retro emulation, and the rest on my phone and desktop. The Galaxy Note phones are great Nintendo DS emulation devices. And it's amazing that PS3 emulation is where it is today. Never thought anyone would successfully emulate the Cell architecture.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 12:57 pm

A computer....lol, because there are thousands of pc games or pc versions of games that are also on other consoles. But the device you speak of seems cool, though I don't think I've played games on any of the consoles you've mentioned.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2017, 5:14 pm

I have a Pi3 in a NES style case. It's a thing of beauty. :)

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 3:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
A computer....lol, because there are thousands of pc games or pc versions of games that are also on other consoles. But the device you speak of seems cool, though I don't think I've played games on any of the consoles you've mentioned.

If you have some time to kil try finding a 20 best genesis or SNES games on YouTube. Actually you're right, the PC has even more games lol. But you have to see Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World, they are fun.

To all the people saying PCs have emulated for a long time, that is true, I just love the plug and play easiness of the raspberry pi 3 consoles though. To me playing games through a TV is what makes them special. I dont feel I get the full experience playing through a PC unless I'm playing a PC specific game like the Civil!isation series.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 2:09 am

But that's exactly what you're doing... playing on a PC.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2017, 5:58 am

It's a PC that doesn't look like a PC though - just like the PS4 and XBOX One. (underpowered) PCs in console cases.

Aspzan
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2017, 8:05 am

handheld version I found http://www.8bcraft.com/

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 7:46 pm

caffeinekid wrote:
It's a PC that doesn't look like a PC though - just like the PS4 and XBOX One. (underpowered) PCs in console cases.

There's a huge difference between a Raspberry Pi and a PS4/Xbox One. I think you'd be very hard pressed to find anyone who consider the latter to be PCs.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

I have a steam link so although not a console I get the console feeling on any of my games on my tv and can sit on my couch.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2017, 7:07 pm

This topic is only making me miss my Xperia Play. Emulating games up to and including the PS1 and with a slide-out PSX-style controller was some good stuff. I should probably see if I can get a similar add-on for my S6... got a craving to play some Castle of Illusion on the go

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 6:20 am

Something like the Xperia Play is what I was hoping the Razer phone would end up being like. But as it is, I can't see it as anything but a gimmick. Not sure how a Snapdragon 835 is supposed to drive anything but the most non demanding games at 120fps. It's interesting for sure, but it's so much less than it could've been.