Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm an adult woman seeking a professional who will test me for ASD / Aspergers. My psychiatrist has previously diagnosed me with a multitude of labels (see below) but I have recently realized it all points toward ASD. I meet all the DSM-5 criteria but my psychiatrist said that I can't have it because I am "too articulate" (?) and refuses to test. My clinical psychologist also refuses to test. He said that because I don't "flap my arms" or run around in circles I can't have it ... despite meeting all the DSM-5 characteristics and being a grown woman who has been socialized to follow the norm in public.

My online tests are highly indicative of Aspergers (off the charts...), and I have had all the characteristics since I was a young child, prior to experiencing any trauma or PTSD, and prior to my stroke. I have EXTREME obsessions, EXTREME sensory issues, EXTREME problems with social skills and I always have. I have never had lasting friendships or been able to fit in with other girls because of social blindness. My stroke was 3 years ago when I had already exhibited symptoms for 50 years so the stroke did not cause my symptoms, although it did intensify my characteristics like a double-edged sword. I essentially had an "Aspie Breakdown" prior to the stroke and I've been almost reclusive ever since. I can't fake it any more and I'm tired of feeling like an actor without her script. It is very hard to function. All I want to do is stim all day, avoid people, and self-soothe with books. My doctors say that it is PTSD and they don't recommend testing me. I did face a lot of trauma as an adult, but how was I born with C-PTSD? This is very depressing and I'm tired of feeling dismissed. I fit virtually all of Samantha Craft's descriptors for female ASD.

I hope I can find some answers on here, and make a few online friends!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 5:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:50 pm

Thank you! :)

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2017, 6:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thank you! :)

You sound as if you have it to me. I'm a very mild version of Autistic.