Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 4:44 pm

So I work at an engineering job doing the same thing as my father, part time as part of contact design.

I have been having productivity issues, and haven’t beem showing up to work enough, I have some leeway but I still need to get my projects done. I have been depressed and trying to escape from the stress through online gaming.

My parents see this and get angry, which is not good for me because it makes me shy away, and asserting muself doesn’t work well. They just keep hammering away with telling me to go to work, yelling at me for playing too many games. Placing ultimatums on a family member in the workplace is ethically questionable, but I am not going to go that far.

If I can keep coherent enough to maintain a work schedule thngs should be okay, but if I slip up for too long things start becoming self-reinforcing living in my parents household. If anything I want to have a job where I can live on my own, but I am not confident I can stay healthy enough for that.

Does anone have any questions or feedback?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:52 am

What do you feel are the main stressors in your life - and would moving out of your parent's home relieve them or make them worse?

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 6:01 am

Left out “same” in the title, bleaugh.

Moving out and living independently would help me with stress immensely. I know how to take care of myself, and provided I stay in good health the additional workload wouldn’t be an issue.

FerrariFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2017, 10:29 am

Ultimately, if you have a job, whether its working with your parents or anyone else, you have a huge responsibility to be there on time doing the job. Its a HUGE thing for me with the people who work for me - be WHERE you are supposed to be WHEN are you are supposed to be there doing WHAT you are supposed to be doing. That's pretty much how I phrase it to them during orientation.

If you can't do that, maybe you should look at going somewhere else? The responsibility to be there is going to follow you in any job you have until you own the company.

Having said that, there are some jobs that have built in "flex" hours where you still have to accomplish the task, but the hours don't matter much as long as the job gets done.

Good luck!! !

FF