Is there a difference between CULT and State?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 4:16 pm

They may be definite separation between church and state in america, but just how much control over the government can notorious cults like the Church of Scientology and the People's Temple have over the government? I'd say a lot judging by the fact that the Church of Scientology has successfully destroyed government documents that made them look bad (https://www.google.com.pr/url?sa=t&rct= ... dtXYbEOtgY)

And not only that, but the far-left liberal scene has become a cult in of itself, as they are, not unlike Rebel Media's narrative on the subject, desperately trying to control the media and, in turn, the government for their own self interests.

Here's a video example:

Isn't it time that the U.S. government makes a law that makes it hard for cults to control the government at their own whim?

-Thomas Jefferson

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 4:44 pm

Right.

The government is controlled by cults, and the cults are controlled by the Freemasons, and the Freemasons are controlled by the Reptoid Aliens from Arcturus.

If that's what you're hearing on U Tube then it must be true. Because everything on U Tube is true. That's what they said ..on a vid on U Tube....so by all means you should believe it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:23 pm

free masons? pah. Illuminati!

I read that there has been a new chamber discovered in one of the pyramids.
10 bucks, that's where Der Führer has been waiting out for his time to return.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 10:47 pm

People might dive head-long into blind faith-based devotion to one political party or another in lieu of religion, that can be very cult-like, but I'm not familiar with any cult per say that's directly pulling government around behind the scenes.

That's not to say that there aren't Freemason and Rosicrucian politicians, the former are politically well-known through history and the later are popular in some US cities and particularly in France, but they're a lot like secular humanists adding some Greek philosophy and metaphysics to their lives and how they conduct themselves with people. They're probably in a lot of ways safer and more grounded in a lot of ways than a whole laundry list of different types of people we elect.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 11:39 am

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
They may be definite separation between church and state in america, but just how much control over the government can notorious cults like the Church of Scientology and the People's Temple have over the government? I'd say a lot judging by the fact that the Church of Scientology has successfully destroyed government documents that made them look bad (https://www.google.com.pr/url?sa=t&rct= ... dtXYbEOtgY)

And not only that, but the far-left liberal scene has become a cult in of itself, as they are, not unlike Rebel Media's narrative on the subject, desperately trying to control the media and, in turn, the government for their own self interests.

Here's a video example:

Isn't it time that the U.S. government makes a law that makes it hard for cults to control the government at their own whim?

Off Topic: Nice to see a post coming from Puerto Rico. How are you and your family doing in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:06 am

So does the OP realise that Youtube is not a government department?

The funny thing is, the actual government is less likely to ban those videos that Youtube is.

Anyway, I thought conservatives were in favour of business being allowed to do what they want. Youtube is a business and they're doing what they want. What they want is to delete certain videos.

When will these wannabe conservatives learn that you have the right to make any video you want but you don't have the right for Youtube to host your video on their servers that they paid for if they don't want to.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

The OP also mentioned media.

Quote:
The funny thing is, the actual government is less likely to ban those videos that Youtube is.

For now. Presumably, a world in which the US government would be as likely (or even more likely) is not one you desire. If that's what people are concerned with, it might be worth hearing them out (and, implicitly, it might not be).

Quote:
Anyway, I thought conservatives were in favour of business being allowed to do what they want. Youtube is a business and they're doing what they want. What they want is to delete certain videos.

Can't they be in favour of doing what they want whilst also criticising them for doing things they disagree with?

Quote:
When will these wannabe conservatives learn that you have the right to make any video you want but you don't have the right for Youtube to host your video on their servers that they paid for if they don't want to.

Which "wannabe conservatives" are demanding the "right for Youtube to host" their videos? Does using a company's services mean you don't get to complain about their practices?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:49 am

I think enough people have caught wind that Twitter and Youtube are doing this and more people are drifting over to places like Minds and Gab. Youtube in particular has to decide its future - ie. will it continue to be the main place where interesting things happen in culture and where the issues get hashed out or will they continue to demonitize every news show across the platform based on buzzwords in their title or because there's some implication that they're talking politics at all? Similarly how far will the quarantine thing keep expanding? With Jared Taylor it's understandable, it's also spreading out to gather a larger swatch of content and it'll be interesting to see how far that reaches but I still think the more pernicious thing is the near outright defunding of anyone talking news, I mean even people like Kyle Kulinski on Secular Talk has been enduring a significant hit-rate on this so its far from being an alt-right snowflake issue.

The bigger problem though, IMHO, is the situation with Google having the ability to sculpt public perception by inserting their politics in browser algorithms. I don't think anyone should have the right to do that and if you get to a point where your platform is ubiquitous or where it's just two companies - Google and Microsoft - with the lion's share of the web, they're in a position where what they do can have a significant effect on the democratic process and the marketplace of ideas and that's whether their influence is from their best and brightest thinkers or whether it's activists of one type or another making it their mission to get in the doors and try to make public policy in ways that they couldn't when it came to actually debating the issues.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 6:12 pm

adifferentname wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

The OP also mentioned media.

Quote:

For now. Presumably, a world in which the US government would be as likely (or even more likely) is not one you desire. If that's what people are concerned with, it might be worth hearing them out (and, implicitly, it might not be).

Quote:

Can't they be in favour of doing what they want whilst also criticising them for doing things they disagree with?

Quote:

Which "wannabe conservatives" are demanding the "right for Youtube to host" their videos? Does using a company's services mean you don't get to complain about their practices?

So you want to do that thing where we critique each other's posts line by line again? Sorry but that's very time consuming.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 6:23 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
So you want to do that thing where we critique each other's posts line by line again? Sorry but that's very time consuming.

You may respond however you see fit, or not at all.

Odd that you choose to respond with a complaint about fisking. Am I to take it you don't wish to contend my points?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Am I to take it you don't wish to contend my points?

Yep.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:34 pm

Youtube is a private company, they can remove any videos they see fit to remove...it is hardly 'proof' of anyone trying to control the media. Also where the videos deleted for being 'conservative' or because they had inappropriate content? Chances are it was the latter. There are rules for videos on youtube...if one breaks them regardless of political orientation the site has every right to remove the video.

Were freedom of speech comes in is, the police cannot go arrest you because you're video got removed...unless of course you were making violent threats or the video contains footage of you committing a crime. Doesn't mean sites like Youtube have to host every video...they are allowed to use discretion as to what they allow on the site and what they don't. Don't like it? find another platform...freedom of speech does not mean you get to demand video hosting from private companies who say no.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 12:05 am

Also most of Youtube's revenue comes from ads. How are they supposed to stay in business if the advertisers don't want to be associated with them?

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 11:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:

Here's a video example:

Off Topic: Nice to see a post coming from Puerto Rico. How are you and your family doing in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria?

My family is doing fine, but that was only because I live in western Puerto Rico which only received Maria's tails; it's the east that got the worst of it. the 50+ days without electricity and internet was particularly hard my psyche, which lead to multiple anxiety attacks.

Fortuately, at my town at least, the internet got restored quickly and swiftly to its full glory! :D

Just remembering it gives me the shivers! :blech:

-Thomas Jefferson

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 11:43 pm

The left is such a cult. They keep demanding everyone to agree with them. Good thing that can never happen to the right.