Can you define autism without listing symptoms?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2017, 12:40 pm

starcats wrote:
ScarletIbis wrote:
starcats wrote:
ScarletIbis wrote:
The world is made of points the NTs pretty much all see the same points. These points draw a picture that is the same for most NTs. Autistic people each wear a customized pair of infrared glasses that means we see the invisible points that the NT don’t see but we also don’t see all the points that they see. We see a different picture, even different than other autistics pictures. Our pictures are more beautiful and elaborate, but as the grass is always greener on the other side, we long to see the picture that all the NTs seem to enjoy. We come to hate our picture and seek to make it the way we think the NTs picture is. We must come to appreciate we see the world and leave our picture the way it is, add points don’t alter points.

I used to think a lot about how there is no way to actually know if what I see is the same as another person. We all recognize green as green because it has a particular wavelength, but who knows if what it appears like in my brain is what it appears like in someone else's brain.

Hmm similarly, I have always wondered how a color blind person sees, mostly the blue-red type.
Just realized that I failed to specify, the points I refer to are not visual but rather a visual analogy for thought process. I came up with this analogy a few years back when someone said “I see your point”.

I totally get and appreciate your analogy. That was just me being associative. Sorry.

Oh oops. I guess this further supports my analogy as I did not read your comment the way you wrote it. Different thought processes=communication difficulty. Well then again most people have that problem when reading anything, all you get is the words no tone or body language (not that I would understand it anyway or that there was tone to perceive). Flat effect, what can you do. 8)

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm

starcats wrote:
Whoever says autistics can't get analogies sure is wrong. This thread has some great ones going!

BTW I write, speak, and think in analogies. Autistics get analogies just not the ones NTs use. They probably don’t get ours either though! :lol:

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 2:07 pm

I don't think I can define autism without listing traits. To me the traits are the only objective thing about autism. Like they say, if you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie. There simply isn't any common core that defines us all, as far as I know.

Nearest thing I've found to that was a bad dream I had in which everybody was chronically sick of me, I tried to explain myself but it was hopeless, I couldn't communicate my position to them in any kind of a coherent way, and they clearly had no intention of giving me a chance. I approached a man who was busy working at a desk, and told him it was good to meet him. He looked briefly at me, shot me a disdainful glance, shook his head, and continued with his work.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

starcats wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
I am in a cage at a Zoo. I know my neighbour is different but also in a cage like me. What connects us is that we are both surrounded by the same society looking in on us.

This is deep and also makes me sad. I feel like a trapped animal a lot. I wonder what it would take to feel like birds and squirrels all sharing the same tree. Really different physiology and mindset, free to come and go, peaceful co- habitation. Maybe some people/society in the distance observing, but not interfering in my survival needs or fun.

You reminded me of all the animals and insects which visit my garden and quite happily live in harmony. The only problem they have is when my dog spots them - she has a natural tendency to chase things which move.

A few months ago a hedgehog walked up to me and looked up as if it wanted something or wanted to say something. I stood there and I did speak and asked what was the matter as this is unusual behaviour for a wild animal. It stood there for a while looking up then turned and went back under the fence. It was such a profound moment and I will never forget it.

I had a moment with a silverback at the zoo a few years ago - he just stared at me but with a neutral calmness and I remember thinking blimey, all these people and he chose to look into my eyes. Of course he may have had been thinking if he got over the wall he would eat me first.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

Temeraire wrote:
Of course he may have had been thinking if he got over the wall he would eat me first.

LOL :lol:

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:33 pm

Temeraire wrote:
You reminded me of all the animals and insects which visit my garden and quite happily live in harmony. The only problem they have is when my dog spots them - she has a natural tendency to chase things which move.

That sure feels like me vs society.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 5:51 am

Ok I have another one.

We take the scenic route but get there in the end.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 9:29 pm

The only two things that seem definitive to me are sensory sensitivities + processing challenges. What makes those two things relate? Synaptic connections?

EJC93
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2017, 6:33 am

Viewing the world in a different way

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 8:23 pm

Autism is like living in an analogy while everyone else is living in real time.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 6:39 am

Or like ghosts living in another dimension.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:03 am

Temeraire wrote:
Or like ghosts living in another dimension.

Yes, exactly!! ! I usually feel like I'm aware of a few extra dimensions, and not fully inhabited in the one most people exist in.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm

ghosts smoothly sliding on this planet in a beautiful but harmful solitude
whose souls are strangers to others, strangers to time, strangers to lies and sometimes strangers to themselves
deeply in love with their passions, when they find it
feeling everything intensely like a feather being moved by even a tiny breath

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 5:15 pm

Neurodiverse exceptionality, expressed in many different ways which vary widely given within group difference in personality, individual talents, aptitudes, family history and educational levels, with some common factors such as dislike of loud noises, telephones as a communcation medium, small talk and ignorant stereotypes/myth-making about AS abilities especially those that ignore individual differences.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
ghosts smoothly sliding on this planet in a beautiful but harmful solitude
whose souls are strangers to others, strangers to time, strangers to lies and sometimes strangers to themselves
deeply in love with their passions, when they find it
feeling everything intensely like a feather being moved by even a tiny breath

This makes me think of the Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness. I read it before I realized I was on the spectrum and I felt like the Spackle in the book were me. Now that I'm remembering it, I feel like that even more so. I think it was meant as a teen dystopian series, and the first one reads like it, but by the third book, it was just so deep in explaining me. The Noise, the Spackle.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 8:40 pm

Ah book references 8)