Can you define autism without listing symptoms?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 8:40 pm

Ah book references 8)

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

Not being able to see in people's heads. People are almost like objects. They are confusing and draining.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 11:02 pm

Quote:
An autistic person is emotionally inside out. We have trouble getting our emotions out rather than having trouble keeping them in. Emotions are internal rather than external.

That doesn't apply to me. I have trouble keeping my emotions in.

See, I don't think there is a single trait that every ASD person shares.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 11:06 pm

Rukkus wrote:
Not being able to see in people's heads. People are almost like objects. They are confusing and draining.

Rukkus, do you feel like this about everyone, all the time? All these threads about empathy have me thinking. Not that I want all of that to come here, but I'm just wondering because if someone is having genuine thoughts or feelings, I am overly aware and able to read them. That's only usually with kids, other NDs, or others when something happens and they have a real reaction. People who have any hint of fake are like objects to me. I can't even begin to understand what the think or what they say. Autism for me is like having a built in truth-only filter.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

starcats wrote:
People who have any hint of fake are like objects to me. I can't even begin to understand what the think or what they say. Autism for me is like having a built in truth-only filter.

I agree, I often can’t sort out white lies or non obvious sarcasm. Not by tone but by the words “why of course the moon is made of cheese” would automatically register as sarcasm in my mind. With white lies, or any lies, make that any comment whatsoever, I often go on overload trying to figure out if it was genuine. I can’t take compliments for this reason, I always wonder if they are sarcasm, white lies, or actually genuine (usually my last assumption). I am good at sorting out truth in a story though as I can spot holes immediately.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)