Just found my son's parakeet dead

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 12:27 am

I just walked into my room where my son's parakeet lives, and found him dead. We only had the bird maybe a year, but my son loved him very much. While it's a big deal for any 9 year old boy, my son lost his mom a few years ago and so I think this might hit him even worse. I'm not sure what I should do. It's 11:30 PM right now and I'm wondering if I should wait until the morning or wake him and tell him now. I loved the bird too but I'm shocked right now.

I guess writing about this is helping me process the situation a little better.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2017, 6:06 am

It's never easy to lose a pet. I'm so sorry for you both!

I don't know if you'll see this before telling him the news, but I had a similar situation happen with me. When my hamster died (I'd had her for 2 years), my dad and my brothers were really nice about it. They were very kind to me for the rest of the day and gave me my favorite dessert to help me out a little bit. We had a little funeral for her and everything.

I'd also suggest that you and your son do something to memorialize your beloved pet, like talk about happy memories or things that made you two remember about your parakeet that made you laugh.

If it feels like it's too soon, that's also okay. I just think spending time together when you can would be really helpful for the grieving process. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out okay for the both of you!

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

Thanks for responding, it was a lot of help at a time when I needed it. I let him know this morning and just like I thought, he couldn't believe it and went and looked for the bird. When it sunk in, we cried together and talked about some nice memories of the bird.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 1:35 pm

I'm glad you were both able to grieve together. It meant lots to him to have his dad around at a time like this.

Sorry for the loss of your wife/his mother.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 9:29 am

AspieSingleDad,

My sincerest condolences to your son and to you. You are a good dad.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 6:22 pm

Thanks Kraftie and Isotin, I appreciate the thoughts. It helps, more than you might think.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 7:52 pm

You're very welcome, AspieSingleDad. Hugs for you and your son.