Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dilanger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2017, 9:35 am

I went to a social gathering. I knew they where photographers, leather workers, models and pop artists.

Everything that I like and get into.

Even though I am an aspie. I try my best not to make people feel uncomfortable by being random or creepy.

Tell that to people that are self proclaimed artists.

I was with a girl and she introduced me to her photographer friend.

I said hello and offered to shake his hand, and he says "gummy bears" I didnt know how to react. Should I be mad, should I laugh like everyon else was or was the joke on me?

It seems like 100 percent of artists under 40 are these egotistical people that only create to post it on face book to get likes and sex.

Of couse this came to me way after and analyzing artists on facebook and deviant art.

I think it is insulting that people act like they have a condidtion when in reality they use that to get attention or purposely just be different.

Do artists act like they are on the spectrum or they are actually are on the spectrum.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 10:49 am

As an Aspie of the arts *see username* I believe that anyone who creates for the sole purpose of getting famous or recognition is in it for the wrong reasons and probably won't have a substantial career in the arts.

If being an artist means you get sex, then I obviously am no artist. :roll: I would think that applies to sports jocks.

To answer your question on the bottom, in my experience working in theatre, a lot of the personalities can be quirky, bubbly, or extroverted in nature. I do not think that anyone goes into the arts thinking "If I act like I'm autistic, then I will succeed". I am sure that there is some percentage of Autistics in the arts, though it is a minority. All you would have to do is see how many autistic characters there are in plays, movies, TV, games, etc compared to NT characters. Then compare that to how many of those autistic characters are played by actually autistic people.

Regarding gummy bears, if the people around him have worked with him on other projects, then it could be an inside joke between them. Still an odd thing to do when meeting someone new.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 7:15 pm

Creative people Artists included tend to be different. I think more of a percentage of them are ASD than in the general population but since ASD is 2 percent of the population we are probably still a small minority of artists.

Not wanting to be famous is not an ASD trait.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The Abdominal Snowman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

Unlike science and engineering, art is one of those rare areas in life where the 'cool' and the 'nerd' kinda meet in the middle.
It becomes difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins.
It's like art (including music) is this one area where guys on the spectrum actually have a shot at laying.
Perhaps this is because art is where a spergs talent can actually impress females. Because the subject matter isn't over the girls head (as is often the case in hard sciences).
And so it is that sperg talent that goes into saving/extending life, understanding physical reality, raising the standard of living etc. takes a back seat to sperg talent that makes things cool to look at but not so good for anything else.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 11:29 am

I'm an artist
who has had my work exhibited in art galleries, museums,
and solo shows ... including a local City Hall.
Have also been selling online for years.

And as an Aspie,
I notice that many artists do tend to be egotistical.
When they see I don't play their game,
they tend not to like me.

That said, there are also some wonderful people in the art world.
One art instructor changed my life in a good way and I am extremely grateful.

About the guy who said "gummy bears" when you offered to shake his hand?
I would have liked to reply "Nanu nanu" like Mork from Ork from the "Mork and Mindy" show
and shake his hand like they do on the planet Ork. :)
Am not sure if I would have thought of that reply quick enough,
but it would have been fun.
If someone's going to joke around with me,
they'll get it right back. (I'm a self-proclaimed mischievous Q from Star Trek ...) 8)
Sometimes I just need a bit of time to prepare for that.

Anyways, I suspect there are artists on the spectrum who are autistic and may not know it.