Liberal progressives trying to sweep election in Virginia...

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 6:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense there will be a sharp anti-Trump backslash in the 2018 Congressional elections.

Trump winning is the best thing that ever happened to the Democrats.

If Hillary had won it would have been the best thing that ever happened to the Republicans.

Whichever side wins will always face major backlash.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 6:55 am

I won't count my chicks until they hatch.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 7:13 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Not to get off subject of Virginia too much, but the largely Republican run city council of Spokane Valley has been all replaced last night by voters. They got themselves elected on a low taxes campaign, but ended up getting the city fined by the state for trying to make the small city a gun rights zone with zero restrictions, and were more concerned about political ideology than with fixing pot holes in the street. Good riddance, I say, even though I know and personally like one of these voted out councilmen.

Aren't city governments usually non-partisan, at least officially?

Not in every place. Certainly around here, everyone knows what political philosophy is espoused by which candidate.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2017, 2:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense there will be a sharp anti-Trump backslash in the 2018 Congressional elections.

Yep. There's a good chance that the Dems will take the House but the GOP will most likely hold the Senate. Despite the narrow majority, the Dems have more Senate seats to defend than the GOP and I'd be very surprised if the Dems held all the seats that they are defending.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:15 pm

If Roy Moore wins, we can start back in with the Alabama jokes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:10 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

Don't know if he's got as much chance of winning, now that it's been revealed that he apparently likes his girls young. Emphasis on "girls."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 8:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Don't know if he's got as much chance of winning, now that it's been revealed that he apparently likes his girls young. Emphasis on "girls."

I would bet it has no effect. I remember Edwin Edwards saying the only way he could lose an election in his state, was to be caught with a dead girl or a live boy. the same likely applies to Moore.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2017, 9:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The Virginia result was biggest potential future predictor/evidence of an anti Trump backlash. It was not that the Democrat won but that he won by 9 percent when the polls said 3. This is a reversal of recent trends. Murphy's win in New Jersey was not a surprise as the exiting Chris Christie approval rating is at 15 percent or so. Bill Murphy who is going to replace him as about as anti Trumpism as possible. Wall Street banker who said he is going to raise taxes and make New Jersey a sanctuary state.

Here in New York a proposal for a constitutional convention went down. Again no surprise as in a very blue state Public employee unions ran an expensive campaign against it. The constitutional convention had the potential to be a Bannonism tear it all down type event and voters stomped on it 83 to 17 percent.

The Republican who put out the MS-13 mailer pictured above lost. But a whole bunch of Republican officials in that county has been convicted or indicted for corruption which is a drag on any candidate of that party. Also the two local school board candidates in New Jersey targeted by the explicit anti Indian-American, anti Chinese-American ad pictured above won.

The idea that these results portend an anti-Trumpism backlash leading to Democrats taking control of the House starting in 2019 is spurious as they were local, not Federal government elections with important local factors at play. But when you have had bad news after more bad news for 7 years including special elections this year you take what you can get.

I'm sorry but it had nothing to do with Trump. Don't believe liberal media. It was simply an apathetic turn out from Republicans because Gillespie was not strong enough in his platform. Although at least he was the lesser of two evils. And in the house, Democrats gained some seats, but Republicans still have slight lead. So nothing really was victorious for Demoncrats.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 10:20 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The Virginia result was biggest potential future predictor/evidence of an anti Trump backlash. It was not that the Democrat won but that he won by 9 percent when the polls said 3. This is a reversal of recent trends. Murphy's win in New Jersey was not a surprise as the exiting Chris Christie approval rating is at 15 percent or so. Bill Murphy who is going to replace him as about as anti Trumpism as possible. Wall Street banker who said he is going to raise taxes and make New Jersey a sanctuary state.

Here in New York a proposal for a constitutional convention went down. Again no surprise as in a very blue state Public employee unions ran an expensive campaign against it. The constitutional convention had the potential to be a Bannonism tear it all down type event and voters stomped on it 83 to 17 percent.

The Republican who put out the MS-13 mailer pictured above lost. But a whole bunch of Republican officials in that county has been convicted or indicted for corruption which is a drag on any candidate of that party. Also the two local school board candidates in New Jersey targeted by the explicit anti Indian-American, anti Chinese-American ad pictured above won.

The idea that these results portend an anti-Trumpism backlash leading to Democrats taking control of the House starting in 2019 is spurious as they were local, not Federal government elections with important local factors at play. But when you have had bad news after more bad news for 7 years including special elections this year you take what you can get.

I'm sorry but it had nothing to do with Trump. Don't believe liberal media. It was simply an apathetic turn out from Republicans because Gillespie was not strong enough in his platform. Although at least he was the lesser of two evils. And in the house, Democrats gained some seats, but Republicans still have slight lead. So nothing really was victorious for Demoncrats.

It has everything to do with Trump. Trump rode in on a wave of racial and religious intolerance that is being repeated by his political fan club.
Sure, Gillespie was a bad candidate, but so was Clinton. If those chicken heads at the DNC hadn't have fixed Clinton's nomination, we'd have President Sanders, or maybe President Biden (as he was obviously threatened by Wasserman-Schultz to stay out of the race) today, and the very idea of a Trump victory would have been laughed off as a cracker dream.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 10:40 pm

gawd how I wish it was just a nightmarish dream, rather than a nightmarish reality...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 1:30 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Turnout unenthusiastic for the Republicans and very enthusiastic for the progressives was a factor not only in Virginia but in Democrat gains countrywide. The Progressives believe Trump is making America something akin to the next Nazi Germany. If one believes the country is under existential threat the tendency is to get energized. Last year most progressives assumed there was no possible way Trump was going to win so some got lazy and stayed home.

There is speculation that the pollsters and pundits overcompensated for Trump doing better than expected by overestimating that white working class vote this time around.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 1:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
gawd how I wish it was just a nightmarish dream, rather than a nightmarish reality...

It won't last. I had an encounter with a homeless redneck who said he didn't "know nuthin' about computers" and would rather hit one with a hammer instead of learning how to use it. No wonder why the GOP is losing. The very people they try to cater to don't even care!