Liberal progressives trying to sweep election in Virginia...

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 1:39 am

This is an era where appeals to hate and fear and negative stereotypes are perceived to work. No need to go south. These ads are from Long Island and New Jersey respectively.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 3:05 am

the giant elephant in the room continues to be swept under the rug and papered over.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:51 am

Cricket fields. :roll:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 5:35 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
I found it ....

Is it bad that that ad actually made me like conservatives more?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 5:49 am

it cannot be denied that #45 and his minions have set us markedly closer to just such a kind of fascism as depicted in the video. whistle past that graveyard all you want but that won't change the mindset of scapegoating and "hatred for the other" which has been unleashed.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 9:02 am

Gillespie is a loser!
Nazis are losers!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 10:39 am

The Govenor of Missouri and his campaign ad.He won the election.The ad was in poor taste considering all the people getting murdered by crazed shooters.He has another one where he's shooting at stuff with a machine gun and blowing it up like in an action movie.
https://youtu.be/0-VfFi6Z14Q

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2017, 11:03 am

Very good night for the Democrats in Virginia. I'm a fan of Northam's social policies even if he's rather left-wing economically for my tastes.

I thought the best story was a horrid bigot being thrown out after being defeated by a trans woman. From the Washington Post:

Quote:
The race focused on traffic and other local issues in suburban Prince William County but also exposed the nation's fault lines over gender identity. It pitted a 33-year-old former journalist, who began her physical gender transition four years ago, against a 13-term incumbent who called himself Virginia's "chief homophobe" and earlier this year introduced a "bathroom bill" that died in committee.

"Discrimination is a disqualifier," a jubilant Roem said Tuesday night as her margin of victory became clear. "This is about the people of the 13th District disregarding fear tactics, disregarding phobias . . . where we celebrate you because of who you are, not despite it."

Marshall, 73, who refused to debate Roem and referred to her throughout the campaign using male pronouns, declined an interview request but posted a concession message on Facebook.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2017, 11:23 am

Very pleased with this result in Virginia. Hopefully, this will just be the start of the GOP getting a kicking from the electorate while Trump is in the White House.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm

The Virginia result was biggest potential future predictor/evidence of an anti Trump backlash. It was not that the Democrat won but that he won by 9 percent when the polls said 3. This is a reversal of recent trends. Murphy's win in New Jersey was not a surprise as the exiting Chris Christie approval rating is at 15 percent or so. Bill Murphy who is going to replace him as about as anti Trumpism as possible. Wall Street banker who said he is going to raise taxes and make New Jersey a sanctuary state.

Here in New York a proposal for a constitutional convention went down. Again no surprise as in a very blue state Public employee unions ran an expensive campaign against it. The constitutional convention had the potential to be a Bannonism tear it all down type event and voters stomped on it 83 to 17 percent.

The Republican who put out the MS-13 mailer pictured above lost. But a whole bunch of Republican officials in that county has been convicted or indicted for corruption which is a drag on any candidate of that party. Also the two local school board candidates in New Jersey targeted by the explicit anti Indian-American, anti Chinese-American ad pictured above won.

The idea that these results portend an anti-Trumpism backlash leading to Democrats taking control of the House starting in 2019 is spurious as they were local, not Federal government elections with important local factors at play. But when you have had bad news after more bad news for 7 years including special elections this year you take what you can get.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

Trump is butthurt Gillespie didn't
embrace him. :roll:

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reute ... SKBN1D838G

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 9:25 pm

I sense there will be a sharp anti-Trump backslash in the 2018 Congressional elections.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:28 pm

Not to get off subject of Virginia too much, but the largely Republican run city council of Spokane Valley has been all replaced last night by voters. They got themselves elected on a low taxes campaign, but ended up getting the city fined by the state for trying to make the small city a gun rights zone with zero restrictions, and were more concerned about political ideology than with fixing pot holes in the street. Good riddance, I say, even though I know and personally like one of these voted out councilmen.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 1:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Not to get off subject of Virginia too much, but the largely Republican run city council of Spokane Valley has been all replaced last night by voters. They got themselves elected on a low taxes campaign, but ended up getting the city fined by the state for trying to make the small city a gun rights zone with zero restrictions, and were more concerned about political ideology than with fixing pot holes in the street. Good riddance, I say, even though I know and personally like one of these voted out councilmen.

If you are looking for evidence of a backlash Maine voters by a large margin approved Medicaid expansion although the governor is saying he won't implement it although experts doubt he has the authority to do that.
The Hill

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 6:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Aren't city governments usually non-partisan, at least officially?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 6:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

If you are looking for evidence of a backlash Maine voters by a large margin approved Medicaid expansion although the governor is saying he won't implement it although experts doubt he has the authority to do that.
The Hill

LePage is probably the craziest governor in the country.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!