How to travel abroad and what to expect?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reducto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm

One of my first trips was to Thailand. I brought only a backpack and did not book anything in advance. I just got a taxi from the airport and asked them to drop me on Khao San Road, which is the main backpacker's area. I found a room to rent and winged it with the help of a Lonely Planet guidebook for the next 3 weeks.

I've been to several more countries since then and had very few problems. Any commonly visited country will have a tourism industry that caters to English speakers and can help you.

Airports are very orderly with signs everywhere. First you are dropped off in a departure area for the airline you are flying with. Inside will be a counter with that airline's name prominently displayed. There you check in for your flight and check any bags that are too large to carry on. You will receive a boarding slip for each leg of your flight, and usually it will have a gate number printed on it. Look for signs that say something like "All gates -->" or "Gates A1-A50 --->" and follow it. If there is no gate number on it there will be screens showing all departing flights along with their gate number and whether they are on time. You will pass through security - just do what everyone else is doing. If you are unsure what to do here, there are usually bored security guards around who are happy to help you out. Follow signs to your gate. Around 20 minutes before your flight is scheduled to leave they will start boarding. Wait until they call your section of the plane then get in line and take your seat.

On the plane itself it's just a matter of sitting in one place and knowing that the discomfort will end soon. The bathroom is small and strange compared to what you're used to, but it pretty much works the same and you can visit it any time except for the very start and end of the flight. Earplugs help a lot, as does having several entertainment choices available on a phone or tablet.

After you arrive, follow the crowd of people towards baggage claim. Do this even if you didn't check a bag - baggage claim is always right before the exit anyway. At the exit doors there will be signs telling you where to go for different things - hotel shuttle, taxi, train, bus, etc.

Even with everything being on the internet today I'd still suggest buying a guidebook and bringing it with you. That way if you have trouble getting connected or your device isn't working you can still get basic information and you can thumb through it if you're bored.

You don't need to bring much with you. If you bring fast dry/wrinkle free clothes you can wash them out in the sink and hang overnight. 3 shirts, 2 pants/shorts, 4 underwear and socks, 2 shoes is plenty. Don't stress yourself too much about packing, you can always buy things after you arrive. In many cases you can get them much cheaper in the foreign country and it gives you the chance to see how people shop there.

If you're in a place with crazy drivers and are uncomfortable crossing the street, just wait for a local to do it and walk next to them. They know how to do it safely.

samuelR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 May 2019, 6:55 am

Oh, great tips! Thanks

deegood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2019, 7:39 am

If you have troubles with planning all the details of travel like booking tickets, accomodation, planning a route, there are many good package tours (travel agents planned everything instead of you). [url=https:/[/url] sites usually offer package tours, too + huge discounts. I personally love to plan everything by myself, but I am rather experienced traveller, read tons of travel forums and blogs already to escape troubles. Good luck!

Last edited by B19 on 16 Nov 2019, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spam