Coping with depression and suicidal thoughts

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

fourthworld
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2017, 1:24 am

My freshman year at University so far has been similar to the way it was back in High School before I got into playing sports, exercising, and hanging out with other students during breaks, lunch, and spares. I have not been talking to anyone on campus, drifting through my classes relatively unnoticed except on rare occasions when I reply to someone who asked me a question or during a mandatory discussion in class. I have a deep voice and I am self-conscious about it sometimes, as if anything I say has to be something good or worthwhile. Other than being almost completely alienated from everyone else, social media and other internet platforms have become my main source of entertainment, and enjoyment. Looking at memes, particularly the esoteric, ironic, and absurdist kind that float around Instagram is what has been making me smile and chuckle lately. Listening to music lost its novelty, the artists that I used to eagerly wait for their new releases have all made me even more depressed with their most recent works, and I can only watch the same re-runs during the day before I realize I would rather watch nothing. My favourite NHL team is on a nice winning streak, which is exciting, but at some point nearly everyday I have thought about suicide, especially close to the afternoon, and before I go to sleep. I imagine if that I went to the doctor and told them about this, I would receive a prescription for some antidepressants, or antipsychotics if I told them I have trouble sleeping at night and have been diagnosed with autism in the past. One thing I enjoy is spending money, I never had this much money in my life, and I am only receiving a check for nearly $500 twice a month to cover living expenses since I applied and was accepted for a post-secondary scholarship. High School was only last spring, I miss my friends back home, though the situation there is undesirable. Living in the city is the best option available at this time. I would like to learn about healthy ways to deal with depression, suicidal thoughts, I miss the way I felt earlier this year when I was in face-to-face contact with people who appreciated and understood my situation, empathized, and made an effort to talk and interact me everyday before I graduated. If you had or have a similar problem in your life, what would you do about it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 7:47 am

I'm sorry you're going through this. Do you live in a dorm, or an apartment? What are your degree aspirations?

I'm thinking that this is your first time away from home, and that this has sort of thrown you for a loop. This sort of thing happens to many first-year students (I guess Canadians are adopting some American terms; I though "freshman" was only an American term).

I don't sense that your problems are that deep-seated.

I would be careful about your money; don't spend it unwisely. Don't get a credit card you can't pay back every month. Do you have a food plan at your university?

I sense that you need a friend. Until you find a friend at university, just hang out with us.

I also sense you should get into some sort of athletic situation, since you played sports well in high school.