But it’s all about personality >.>

Page 28 of 34 [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 3:13 am

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It takes a very short time to cook your own burgers.

Invariably, they will be much better than what you get at the fast food joints.

I dont know here we have five guys and their hamburgers are some of the best in the nation. Cost same as a Big Mac or whopper.
It takes long time to make hamburgers from pound of hamburger meat and it shrinks and isn’t round which bothers me. When I could eat hamburgers I’d buy frozen stirling patties that were super yummy. Then I’d make my own fries from potatoes.
Now I really only can eat chicken and rice and cereal I. The morning. Been eating the same meals every day for months now :/ though I do slip up cause family makes stuff or buys expensive pizza and I feel I neee ro eat it so it doesn’t waste.

You don't have to make them from meat. It's quicker to just buy frozen hamburger patties.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 4:48 am

But then you're not making them. A company made them you’re just cooking them up.
Quicker but not cheaper either. It’s the route I went at at home though. $8 for 8 1/3 pound burgers.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 4:59 am

Cooking your own burger only works out cheaper per portion assuming you have a lot of portions. I find this in a lot of things, single/small portions of things are the same price as large ones. I don't have a freezer so I find this very annoying, supermarkets assume every single person is rich. All the deals are for family things.

If I want to treat myself with food (the only cheap way of treating oneself) it's really hard to do this with a single portion of something. I can't buy a pack of say two digestive biscuits but I can buy a single portion of dulux super high unhealthy cheesecake ever though I'd rather have the biscuits.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:21 am

sly279 wrote:
But then you're not making them. A company made them you’re just cooking them up.
Quicker but not cheaper either. It’s the route I went at at home though. $8 for 8 1/3 pound burgers.

Yeah but it's probably still cheaper than that way.

I guess if you really wanted to be strict you could bake the buns yourself. Most people would just let a company make the buns for them.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 12:34 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Cooking your own burger only works out cheaper per portion assuming you have a lot of portions. I find this in a lot of things, single/small portions of things are the same price as large ones. I don't have a freezer so I find this very annoying, supermarkets assume every single person is rich. All the deals are for family things.

Don't have a freezer? Is that common for low/average income people where you're from?

I don't mean to insult you, it just sounds weird since I don't know anyone who doesn't have a freezer. Culture difference, maybe?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Don't have a freezer? Is that common for low/average income people where you're from?

I've never had more than an ice-box at the top of a worktop-height fridge, which seems common enough among friends of mine here in Yorkshire. A lot of rented accommodation for single people here is very small Victorian back-to-back houses - I've simply not had space for a freezer in a lot of the kitchens I've had! I think having a freezer is also a much more recent thing here than in the US; when I was a child I remember having a freezer being a very unusual thing, even for relatively middle-class families - I would have seen them most on US TV shows. I think the same is true of most kitchen appliances, we're "late developers" over here when it comes to having your own washing machine or dishwasher too.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:07 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

I don't mean to insult you, it just sounds weird since I don't know anyone who doesn't have a freezer. Culture difference, maybe?

Most families have freezers here, but single less well off people sometimes don't. Like Trogluddite put it's more to do with space than the cost of the appliance. Growing up our freezer was about a foot square it was attached to the top of the fridge, my Dad's has one the same now, the only thing in it belongs to me :)

American appliances always look enormous on the telly, ours are much smaller but then so are the houses.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:43 pm

Every place we’ve rented had a fridge with freezer. It’s pretty standard. We also have a big full fridge size freezer but it’s old and unless you fill it all the time it builds up ice which eventually causes other stuff to not freeze and prevent the door from closing.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Yeah but it's probably still cheaper than that way.

I guess if you really wanted to be strict you could bake the buns yourself. Most people would just let a company make the buns for them.

Cheaper to buy meat and make your own hamburgers then freeze them though.

Fast food is more if you don’t have time. Five guys and Carl’s Jr. are in between fast food and restaurants. Why do restaurants take 30 mins to make a hamburger? Doesn’t take that long at home lol. Five guys $7 can get you a really good high quality hamburger and a bunch of fresh made fries. They have the bags of potatoes in store and make them fresh each time. They also have free peanuts to snack on while you wait :) my favorite steak place also has free peanuts and free rolls.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 4:07 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Quote:

I've never had more than an ice-box at the top of a worktop-height fridge, which seems common enough among friends of mine here in Yorkshire. A lot of rented accommodation for single people here is very small Victorian back-to-back houses - I've simply not had space for a freezer in a lot of the kitchens I've had! I think having a freezer is also a much more recent thing here than in the US; when I was a child I remember having a freezer being a very unusual thing, even for relatively middle-class families - I would have seen them most on US TV shows. I think the same is true of most kitchen appliances, we're "late developers" over here when it comes to having your own washing machine or dishwasher too.

Wow really? I grew up in a very poor neighborhood. I can't call them working class because the majority were unemployed. Yet all of them had a fridge, a freezer and a washing machine. Dishwasher was more of a middle-class thing. I didn't get a dishwasher until a couple of years ago.

I'm also a bit surprised by America and their big things. Big appliances, big cars. In American movies some of the allegedly middle class houses are like small mansions. In American sitcoms the interiors look cavernous but I've been told American living rooms aren't actually that big - they need to make the set extra large to accommodate the sightlines for a 3 camera setup and a live studio audience.

I'm surprised that the UK are "late developers". You had the industrial revolution! You were the first country with steam engines and factories and railways. The UK used to have the most advanced technology in the world. That should put you ahead of the world. Has the rest of the world caught up and even surpassed you? What happened to slow the pace of the UK's technological development?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:06 am

Wish some woman could like me :cry:

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:15 am

sly279 wrote:

There are advantages to staying single,

If you must insist on have a negative outlook, have a positive negative outlook for the lulz.

If you do manage to reproduce, you probably just damning your children to the same faith of lonely isolation. I don't want to bring a family into the mess I have made, I would sooner kill myself with not a single hesitation, which is an impulse I am fighting quite a bit lately. Do you want to bring fellow humans into your horrible life?

I would rather my worse delusions become reality, for the greater good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:37 am

I realize there are already too gaddarned many people on this planet for comfort, and that I am not prepared to add and properly nurture another one or several of my particular genetic specimens, adequate to the purpose of adding to quality human experience as opposed to detracting from quality human experience. I defer to those more qualified than I am for those purposes.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:42 am

Dragnet wrote:
sly279 wrote:

There are advantages to staying single,

If you must insist on have a negative outlook, have a positive negative outlook for the lulz.

If you do manage to reproduce, you probably just damning your children to the same faith of lonely isolation. I don't want to bring a family into the mess I have made, I would sooner kill myself with not a single hesitation, which is an impulse I am fighting quite a bit lately. Do you want to bring fellow humans into your horrible life?

I would rather my worse delusions become reality, for the greater good.

Said child could be normal and live a wonderful successful life. My uncle is poor lower class his son is a millionaire engineer.
One of my uncles is quite well off, my granda likely had aspergers but non of his sons has it. My mom might. No guarantee your kid will be austic. Just like how two drawfs have normal height kids. It’s all random.

There really isn’t any good sides to being single for me. I’d gladly give up my money spending habits to have a relationship. I’ll die and it’ll all be thrown away despite its value.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:48 am

^^^this comment has nothing to do with your abilities, but it may cause pause so I mention it for only this reason-
when I was your age, I thought that if only somebody would give me a proper chance, that I could be a proper mate and father. I was not given that chance until my 5th decade of life, and despite that long [presumably] preparatory period, I totally failed on multiple fronts. providence mercifully showed me, before too much damage happened, that I don't have the right stuff for companionship and parenthood. I pray that when you get to be my age, that you will have a better result that doesn't hurt anybody else.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 4:12 am

Having kids isn’t the necessary end goal for a relationship. My well off uncle and aunt never had kids, she didn’t want kids.

Women tell me all the time I’d make a perfect boyfriend. It seems that’s all I’m good at, I’m a failure at everything else. But I don’t even get to be a boyfriend.