Is their an underbelly of bigotry in the Democratic Party?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 7:03 am

So at this point I am convinced their is a scary underbelly of incredible bigotry in the Republican party. The reason that I can't see how people such as Roy Moore, Pat Buchanan, Robertson and David Duke could have gotten such widespread support without it. I seriously think their is intense bigotry in their ranks. But is such a thing common in the Democratic Party. Sometimes when I talk to people I hear them brand all Trump supporters as being angry redneck racists, a stereotype which can't be applied to a majority of them. Maybe for that reason alone a large number of people identifying with the left hold bigoted views. But I am not sure.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2017, 4:46 pm

Bigotry is the human default. The chances are that all political parties will contain significant elements that hold bigoted views.

Some views associated with the Democratic Party that I would consider bigoted:

- Poor, rural people are stupid ("rednecks").
- Murderers usually murder because of mental illness.
- People who cannot look after their own finances should not have the same gun rights as other people.

There are also significant portions of the Democratic Party who hold bigoted views of the type that you might more traditionally associate with the Republican Party - racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. And certainly there are plenty of sex-pests in high-ranking positions within the Democratic Party.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 4:54 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Bigotry is the human default. The chances are that all political parties will contain significant elements that hold bigoted views.

Some views associated with the Democratic Party that I would consider bigoted:

- Poor, rural people are stupid ("rednecks").
- Murderers usually murder because of mental illness.
- People who cannot look after their own finances should not have the same gun rights as other people.

There are also significant portions of the Democratic Party who hold bigoted views of the type that you might more traditionally associate with the Republican Party - racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. And certainly there are plenty of sex-pests in high-ranking positions within the Democratic Party.

And only if the "rednecks" are white.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm

I believe many people do believe in racial and ethnic justice----from all sides of the political spectrum.

I believe SOCIETY has an "underbelly of bigotry"--in all nations of the world.

It's not just Democrats. It's not just Republicans.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm

Yes. The Democrats are midly anti-semetic. The Democrats don't want to upset the Muslims and the Muslims have been anti-semetic for 14 centuries.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 7:49 pm

Like bigotry, anti-Semitism crosses party lines.

anti-Semitism is not a policy of the Democrats.