A little bit 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Kind of 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Very much 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 39

crazy cats lady
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2017, 7:34 am

My parents had always seemed more protective toward me than my brother and sister. They don't even know I have Asperger, but they sense something's different. As a child, I've often felt I was being treated like a much younger child.

The ultimate blog for cats lovers about the huge colonies of feral cats roaming the streets of Tel-Aviv. Feral cats videos, feline humor that'll make you laugh your whiskers off, and cats psychology like what cats dream about. Meet Amiga and Chocolate-Paws in my blog.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 7:40 am

No. Mom left and dad kicked me out.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 7:55 am

My parents were never overprotective in any sense of the word.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 10:08 am

In my opinion, a bit. Sometimes more in comparison. :| Not that I mind. It's not THAT restrictive or anything. :twisted: Not that my parents had to know.
Especially that I'm already at legal age -- I don't need their permission or even have knowledge of my actions and whereabouts.
Though, they're worried.

But if measured with my current culture norm's standard, it's a bit lax in comparison. :lol: As is, it's a family-oriented culture in general consequently social-emotionally inclined, there's also the communication part.
At the same time, my parents aren't negligent either. If they are, they already sent me off somewhere else. Or, let me leave on my own without their knowledge or fuss of a worry.

If compared with the western standards, it is deemed and even consider as 'sheltering'. Seriously.
If one wonders why, Natives here sometimes sees the American family standards as 'cold', 'harsh', 'strict', 'competitive', 'you're-on-your-own-without-connections-at-legal-age', etc... But not 'bad', and never 'evil' per se, just more 'detached' as they do understand that parental duties can be done and approached differently.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

crazy cats lady
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2017, 3:01 am

Dear_one wrote:

That's sad. It's wrong to kick a kid out, even at legal age.

The ultimate blog for cats lovers about the huge colonies of feral cats roaming the streets of Tel-Aviv. Feral cats videos, feline humor that'll make you laugh your whiskers off, and cats psychology like what cats dream about. Meet Amiga and Chocolate-Paws in my blog.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 3:08 am

I had to get run over by a car for my parents to even take notice and even then it wasn't really caring it was more just getting angry at me and punishing me. Both my parents couldn't give a flying eff about me one way or another.

Hence my early forties diagnosis for Autism.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 3:34 am

crazy cats lady wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

That's sad. It's wrong to kick a kid out, even at legal age.

I didn't mind. Whatever I needed wasn't at home.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2017, 7:33 am

My mum cares little for what I do. I rarely see my dad as my mum left him when I was 6.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm

My mom is probably average for a parent of a child with Autism, but my dad was very under-protective, if that is a thing. My dad always was distant and didn't spend a lot of time with me growing up. My parents were raised very differently, so that could be part of it. My mom let me do normal childhood things like playing outside, but with supervision. She doesn't like letting me go places on my own, but I think that is due to my ASD and I don't really blame her in a lot of ways.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2017, 3:32 pm

My mum died 6 years ago, and I haven't seen my dad in a couple of years even though he doesn't live very far away.

I know I *should* want to go see him, but after I've been there five minutes I realise I don't have much to say.

They split when I was four, and I moved with my mum and had a step-dad. They were usually too busy to be anything.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 8:22 am

My mother was VERY overprotective and I believe that stunted both mine and my brother's growth. She still to this day drives me crazy with her backseat driving and treating me like a teenager. It's embarrassing to think of how she treated us, especially as teenagers. I wish I moved out many years before I did. While I would have been poor, I would have been much happier and not 5-7 years behind most people I know.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:03 pm

Yes, my mom is overprotective to the point where the word "overprotective" would be an understatement.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:17 pm

I know a probable NT whose mother wouln't let her risk running as a child. Now, she can't drive or run.
My mother only put in time on child care if I needed punishment, but it was pretty easy to meet minimum standards. She approached motherhood the same way she had her job as a Corporal - delegate everything, don't attract attention, and maximize your free time. I became an efficiency expert.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 2:52 am

My parents may have been overprotective when I was really young but in my teens years they were very aggressive and unstable towards me.

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2017, 10:15 am

My mother isn't. However, I've known many with much more overprotective parents.

I'm immensely grateful for having pretty liberal access to the internet, given how many on the spectrum do not.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2017, 10:49 am

No, my mom was a single mother (for me, not my siblings). She left my father when I was 3. I am the youngest of 7 by 10+ years. All my siblings were out on their own when they turned 18. They used me as a free baby sitter. My mom worked a lot & went to a lot of social functions -- rarely ever saw her. Both my genetic parents are dead now, but they were never an important part of my life. I was raised by terrible daycare workers (up till I was 11), tv, & movies.