Do many Republicans acknowledge bigotry in their own party?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Historical processes.

The Democrats were the bigots of the 19th century. They were for "free money," usually---not the gold standard.

The Republicans were the progressives of the 19th century. But they were for strict money policies and high tariffs. They were always conservative in a fiscal sense.

Until, basically, the 1960s, the southern Democrats were the party of bigotry. In the 20th century, the Republicans became the "conservative" party---especially after Theodore Roosevelt and his run on the Bull Moose ticket in 1912. Then the Republicans split into the "progressive" (Teddy Roosevelt) wing and the more conservative wing (Taft). They were conservative because, again, they were fiscally conservative. Basically, after this election, the conservative element tended to dominate the Party.

Both parties were as bigoted as each other--but the Republicans still supported civil rights a bit more than the Democrats did---especially Southern Democrats. The "party of Lincoln" thing only applied to the South.

After the 1960s, basically, the Southern Democrats became like the Northern Democrats----more or less "liberal" in ideology for the most part. The conservative Republicans started to hold sway in the South. Historically, because of civil rights, the Southern Democrats were an anachronism.

The Republicans started to veer more to the "right" as time went on. The Democrats, especially from the time of Roosevelt, became the "liberal" party.

I've met republicans who still think the democrats are still the same as they used to be while denying the reality that those democrats of then became the republicans of today.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 6:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
How can the GOP win the votes of the various minority groups and women?

They don't have to. They can just make it harder for them to vote.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 8:33 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like a lot of them do...but there certainly are some who have. But it seems like a lot of times they would rather scream about 'liberals' than address any problems whatsoever in their own party. Not going to say the Democrats are totally innocent either...I mean there is a reason I do consider myself liberal but not a Democrat, not happy with the democratic party either.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 10:15 pm

I guess screaming about "liberals" or "deplorables" is a great way to distract people's attention from your own faults.

It's all a game of misdirection. If someone points out that you did something bad, just point out that someone else did something worse, as if that somehow justifies the thing you did.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 10:44 pm

Note that I'm talking about the politicians, not the general supporters for this rant. From my experience you have the far right who are a bunch of knuckle dragging Neanderthals bellowing in the vain hope that someone will listen to their monkey rage all the while being nothing more than useful tools of the rest of the party. On rare occasions the party will screw over one of their own so hard that person "develops" a conscience.

However I've found myself woefully mistaken in the past about the left keeping their lunatics in line. At best the scum suckers in the Democratic Party are blatantly obvious Snidely Whiplashes that no sane person will listen to. At worst they're sociopathic David Xanatos types that will stab you in the back all while saying how they have the best concerns of the little people at heart.

Bottom line: Both sides have their trash and neither side wants to acknowledge the garbage stinking up their own house.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 11:13 pm

Bataar wrote:
The left is far more bigoted than the right. Granted, there are extremes on the fringes of both, but when it comes to the mainstream of each side, the left is far more bigoted.

I'm sure you know us liberals see things as the exact opposite.