Do many Republicans acknowledge bigotry in their own party?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 8:25 am

This is something I am wondering about but how prepared are Republicans to acknowledge bigotry in their own party. So at this point I am convinced their is a scary underbelly of incredible bigotry in the Republican party. The reason that I can't see how people such as Roy Moore, Pat Buchanan, Robertson and David Duke could have gotten such widespread support without it. I seriously think their is intense bigotry in their ranks. In addition polls by the University of Chicago have pointed to around 26% of Republicans seeing African Americans as less intelligent. And this is consistent across the board.

I have seen Graham denounce his own party as "Batshit Crazy" and I have seen William F Buckley address anti-semetism in the conservative movement. But apart from that how prepared are conservative Republicans to see the problems in their own party?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 3:31 pm

George W. Bush: Bigotry and white supremacy are 'blasphemy' against the American creed

Quote:
"Our identity as a nation, unlike other nations, is not determined by geography or ethnicity, by soil or blood. ... This means that people from every race, religion, ethnicity can be full and equally American," he said during remarks at the George W. Bush Institute in New York City. "It means that bigotry and white supremacy, in any form, is blasphemy against the American creed.
He added that "bigotry seems emboldened," though he didn't explain why.

The 43rd president, who left the presidential section of his ballot blank instead of voting for Trump

Most Republican officeholders will not say anything because they fear Trump voters and think Trump is a way to get their agenda passed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 3:32 pm

I feel there is some incredible bigotry within some Republicans.

Alas, some Democrats are also incredible bigots.

I've met both types.

Bigotry cuts across party lines.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 4:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel there is some incredible bigotry within some Republicans.

Alas, some Democrats are also incredible bigots.

I've met both types.

Bigotry cuts across party lines.

That's pretty much what I was gong to say, but you beat me to it.

I've come to the opinion that the more outspoken members of both major parties are big hypocrites. They whine about the other major party while completely ignoring the same issues in their own party.

It's not only getting worse, it will probably keep getting worse until this country is a mere shadow of what it once was. And the twits in both major parties will blame it all on the other major party.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 11:19 am

I'm really starting to think 'Republicans' are far less relevant than the energized center and center-right as well as the rest of the people who might feel that they don't have any other party to vote for at present time and are far from enjoying the 'Republican' title being stuck to them.

I don't know if I'd want to call them the 'new conservatives' or something along those lines but I'm increasingly seeing a lot of them call out Youtubers in their own ranks who twist the truth to their own benefit and there seems to be a flavor in the air that they want to actually have something worth having rather than just shifting the societal pendulum to the right and having a new center-right political paradigm that's just as useless, corrupt, and unrefreshing as the current far-left cultural dominance.

One of the biggest challenge with this is that we have to find some way for intelligent people, clear thinkers, people who aren't super-shiny, who aren't the jump up and down yelling types who excite, titillate, and entertain most people, to be at the forefront and guide the helm of society. They need some set of mass psychology tools to diffuse people's addiction to soap opera drama or desire to treat politics like professional football or baseball where its 'muh team' first and foremost. I'm not entirely sure how they'll solve that one, and it's the same issue that Socrates seemed to discuss in his critique of direct democracy where if you have a sweet-shop owner running against a doctor in an election, going by most people's desire-based animation the sweet-shop owner wins hands down and the doctor is looked at like a terrible human being for 'hurting people to make them better'.

I saw an echo of this ten years ago when, even at the time that I was listening to conservative radio, I liked the more calmed and reasoned conservatives where my friends all loved Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, and whoever would rant and rave. I know - I'm square and boring, I'm not the sort of baby to coo and cah and the most brightly colored and pleasing rattle toy. For as crap as things gotten though I'd think more people over time will be sick of that sort of political entertainment and just be ready for a world where things are done better, where both left and right mutually start forcing each other to higher standards of conduct and evidence, and no one needs to shout about it or make political rugby of it for a few decades.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 2:31 pm

As already cited, there are those Republicans who have stepped forward to condemn bigotry. That said, the Republican party is still living with the legacy of opening it's arms to prejudiced southern whites during the Nixon and Reagan years. What was meant to be a short term gain for the Republicans turned out to have compromised the soul of their party, as those same prejudices still exist in an increasingly red state party where Civil War revisionism and justification for racial resentment are embraced by too much of the rank and file.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 3:48 pm

TY for the brief history lesson - at least for those not familiar with that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 6:30 pm

How did the party of Lincoln get so bigoted in the first place?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 7:58 pm

Historical processes.

The Democrats were the bigots of the 19th century. They were for "free money," usually---not the gold standard.

The Republicans were the progressives of the 19th century. But they were for strict money policies and high tariffs. They were always conservative in a fiscal sense.

Until, basically, the 1960s, the southern Democrats were the party of bigotry. In the 20th century, the Republicans became the "conservative" party---especially after Theodore Roosevelt and his run on the Bull Moose ticket in 1912. Then the Republicans split into the "progressive" (Teddy Roosevelt) wing and the more conservative wing (Taft). They were conservative because, again, they were fiscally conservative. Basically, after this election, the conservative element tended to dominate the Party.

Both parties were as bigoted as each other--but the Republicans still supported civil rights a bit more than the Democrats did---especially Southern Democrats. The "party of Lincoln" thing only applied to the South.

After the 1960s, basically, the Southern Democrats became like the Northern Democrats----more or less "liberal" in ideology for the most part. The conservative Republicans started to hold sway in the South. Historically, because of civil rights, the Southern Democrats were an anachronism.

The Republicans started to veer more to the "right" as time went on. The Democrats, especially from the time of Roosevelt, became the "liberal" party.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 06 Nov 2017, 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 7:58 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
How did the party of Lincoln get so bigoted in the first place?

For quite a while, both parties had had their conservative and liberal wings. Then with civil rights legislation being endorsed by the Democratic party's left, it's right, which tended to be localized in the south, became very hostile and dissatisfied. Nixon, and later Reagan, seeing this, realized that appealing to the racism of white southern Democrats would bring in lots more Republican votes. The Republicans did in fact gain much more votes with pandering to racists, but they also lost any connection to their party's origins in liberty and radical action.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 8:21 pm

This is the way liberalism wants you to see things:

Republican = bigot.

Democrat = tolerant.

But it's just propagandists nonsense.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

Of course, there are many Democratic bigots....And there are some who profess to believe in "racial" or "ethnic" justice, but speak condescendingly to those "disadvantaged" people, and believe they are the solution to their problems. A similar attitude existed up to the early 20th century----Westerners thought they could "improve" non-Westerners through the propagation of "Christian values."

I don't believe most Republicans are bigots in the "Alt-Right" sense. I just believe they tend to feel that their "way of life" is threatened by "elements" (such as minorities, immigrants, etc.). They wouldn't refuse, say, to save a black person from a raging river if they could.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 9:06 pm

This is how a lot of people on social media see things

Democrat = SJW Marxist liberal

Republican = Blameless and impeccable

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 7:57 pm

How can the GOP win the votes of the various minority groups and women?

Will the moderates/centrists be lumped together with Trump and the alt-right simply because of the R next to their name?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 5:57 pm

The left is far more bigoted than the right. Granted, there are extremes on the fringes of both, but when it comes to the mainstream of each side, the left is far more bigoted.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Historical processes.

The Democrats were the bigots of the 19th century. They were for "free money," usually---not the gold standard.

The Republicans were the progressives of the 19th century. But they were for strict money policies and high tariffs. They were always conservative in a fiscal sense.

Until, basically, the 1960s, the southern Democrats were the party of bigotry. In the 20th century, the Republicans became the "conservative" party---especially after Theodore Roosevelt and his run on the Bull Moose ticket in 1912. Then the Republicans split into the "progressive" (Teddy Roosevelt) wing and the more conservative wing (Taft). They were conservative because, again, they were fiscally conservative. Basically, after this election, the conservative element tended to dominate the Party.

Both parties were as bigoted as each other--but the Republicans still supported civil rights a bit more than the Democrats did---especially Southern Democrats. The "party of Lincoln" thing only applied to the South.

After the 1960s, basically, the Southern Democrats became like the Northern Democrats----more or less "liberal" in ideology for the most part. The conservative Republicans started to hold sway in the South. Historically, because of civil rights, the Southern Democrats were an anachronism.

The Republicans started to veer more to the "right" as time went on. The Democrats, especially from the time of Roosevelt, became the "liberal" party.

I've met republicans who still think the democrats are still the same as they used to be while denying the reality that those democrats of then became the republicans of today.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.