Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

ASD isn't understood by people without it but you can mention Asperger's, autism, etc to people. But mentioning SPD and you are even less understood.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

I know what you mean. I was officially diagnosed with that when I was tested for Aspergers & thought I had it for a while but I now realize that I really have Aspergers & just didn't test rite cuz of other issues like learning disabilities. I joined an SPD forum at one point. Anyways... if you think you may be on the spectrum or have a lot of spectrum traits you could just tell people you are.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

I have been diagnosed with both Asperger's and with Schizoid Personality Disorder. I just tell people I have AS. If necessary I will say I have a personality disorder. I rarely say which one.

I just wish it were more acceptable to talk about it the way you can about Asperger's Syndrome and other problems.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Nov 2017, 2:26 am

Uhura wrote:
I have been diagnosed with both Asperger's and with Schizoid Personality Disorder. I just tell people I have AS. If necessary I will say I have a personality disorder. I rarely say which one.

I just wish it were more acceptable to talk about it the way you can about Asperger's Syndrome and other problems.
I was told & read that a diagnoses of one excludes the other being diagnosed meaning I could only get diagnosed with one & not both. Then again the quack who tested me said I had Aspergers personality but it was due to SPD & instead of autism. i heard that the DSM V got rid of SPD but not sure if that was accurate. I never say I have a personality disorder or AS offline. I do mention other disabilities including dyslexia thou so people just figure those things are factors.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2017, 2:22 pm

I have both and I can tell what problems are caused by which one. With AS I may not have the right social skills or I may have the right ones but be limited in how long I can do things. With the PD I don't care about others.

I do have both and agree with that diagnosis. I think it is a matter of how we feel inside. If you feel you only have one, then that might be right. If you feel you have both then that might be right.