"Look Me In the Eye" mandated reading Univ of Cincinnati

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 2:30 pm

Author speaks to UC students, reflects on life with Aspergers

Quote:
“People like me are not broken versions of another person’s normal,” said John Elder Robison to a full TUC Great Hall on Friday. Suffering from Asperger’s syndrome, Robison wrote a book titled, “Look Me in the Eye,” describing his experiences coping with the disorder that, until adulthood, he had no idea that he had.

Robison — the author of this year’s common read — spoke to mostly first-year students who had read his book and were required to attend his event as part of their learning communities.

Whether students chose to read the book or not, Robison undoubtedly reached those present with his story and message.

The book was mandated reading for new University of Cincinnati students and was chosen by UC faculty to facilitate student discussions about the Bearcat Bond — a UC student mission statement emphasizing tolerance — while further emphasizing the importance of diversity and inclusion.

He started by telling the audience that the last time he had been to Cincinnati, he had been on tour with KISS as an engineer working on their guitars and audio systems.

Robison explained that he had been an outcast in elementary, middle and high school.

He failed all his classes and was told by teachers and other school staff that he would amount to nothing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:57 am

I've never read it, but I'm glad a first-hand account of what it's like to have/live with autism is required reading. I hope they're also required to read/listen to a firsthand account from someone who was diagnosed early and encountered the various systems of "support."

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:09 pm

Quote:
The book was mandated reading for new University of Cincinnati students[/b] and was chosen by UC faculty to facilitate student discussions about the Bearcat Bond — a UC student mission statement emphasizing tolerance — while further emphasizing the importance of diversity and inclusion.

Yet one more university mandating that their students accept "tolerance and diversity". They have no choice, they MUST accept it, or else... off to the Gulag! We really do need to kick out the political commissars from academia. They are transforming our universities into a sick, pathetic joke.