Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 3:01 pm

So during May of this year I was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation to see if I was mentally fit to donate a kidney to my older sister. Now she's not currently in need of the kidney, but her function is getting pretty low right now and they think they won't last another 5 years (probably less). I don't have any bad blood with the transplant team but their assessment of my mental health (at the time) was that it wasn't stable enough for them to feel secure about proceeding any further with the process.

Now, keep in mind that they never banished me from being a donor. I can go back and have another assessment once my situation changes and I respect that there are ethical challenges when considering someone as a donor. I understand that surgery takes a huge toll on a person, even if they are otherwise mentally well/neurotypical and I can't fault them for making the decision that they've made. However something has been bugging me for a while about something the psychiatrist said to me in my evaluation. She said something about how, due to my autism and ADHD, I am sensitive to stimuli by default. Okay, so she's concerned that I would be overloaded with pain, but do you reckon that she thinks I can't handle it even if my mental health were more stable?

I think she also considered that I had a lot going on in my life at the time, being a student and so on. Fair enough - I can respect that. But I kinda wish she said something more definitive like "when you've graduated and your mental health is good, give me a ring" or "Sorry, we can't ever take your organs unless it's posthumously".

There's no urgency at the moment. My sister's health is stable and I'm doing okay. Later down the road I will contact the transplant team again and have another assessment. Live donors save the NHS loads of money so they can't say no unless, like, my organs aren't viable or I'm seriously unstable or can't consent or whatever.

I dunno, it's bumming me out a little bit. The best chance my sister has after her kidneys go kaput is to have one of mine and, not to brag, but my kidneys are darn good. She deserves a good life and she shouldn't have to wait years and years for a cadaver kidney or a kind stranger just giving one away (or organ traffickers, which would be devastating and a scandal). I know that there are risks and I know that it will dramatically reduce my kidney function for a while until the remaining one catches up. I know it means regular check ups, taking care of my body, etc. I' ve been psychoanalyzed and repeatedly told that I may end up resenting my sister or feeling sad after surgery. No s**t - not many people feel great after having a major organ removed. But I'm not a delicate flower that will wither and die because I donated a kidney to a woman that f*****g deserves it. All that BS is miniscule compared to the benefits. Plus, she's my sister and I know she'd do the same for me.

I know this is a super niche issue so it might not resonate with others, but if anyone knows about the process and i they ever had to repeat an evaluation for a similar reason I would be so grateful to know about it. or even if you know something about transplantation that would be relevant. I just don't want to give up just because one person said no for a reason that isn't even permanent.

TL;DR I was rejected as a live donor because the psychiatrist in the transplant team didn't think I was mentally stable enough to handle surgery. Also my autism makes me too sensitive, apparently. Is all hope lost or can I still give it another go?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 3:29 pm

Ask for a second opinion but get together some good argument points.

Maybe play on the fact that a dead sister and a grieving family is going to f**k you up more than donating a kidney to save her life ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 4:01 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Ask for a second opinion but get together some good argument points.

Maybe play on the fact that a dead sister and a grieving family is going to f**k you up more than donating a kidney to save her life ?

Haha, that would be quite an escalation.

Don't worry, unlike The Simpsons kidney dialysis is an option. It's just not a very nice option. My mum went through it for four years and it's pretty intense. Immunosuppresants are no fun but being hooked to a machine that filters your blood is way less fun.

I hope they consider that my wellbeing is affected by my sister's health either way. Unless they can magically cure renal problems there's no way out of that.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 4:45 pm

MindBlind wrote:

I hope they consider that my wellbeing is affected by my sister's health either way.

Make sure you explain this clearly to them next time as I think it is a very valid point but maybe put it a little more eloquently than I did, swearing never goes down well with the medical profession.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard