Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 6:01 am

Is anyone else a fan? A lot of people here in America have never heard of it.

I'm a little (extremely) obsessed.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 2:49 pm

I used to watch it every year, but I've fallen out of sync with it in recent years. It was always a good show, though, no matter what the detractors say.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

I love Eurovision :) But as I'm in the US, some years I miss it as I completely space it, and there's not advertisements or other things over here to remind you it's coming up.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2017, 1:24 am

Keladry wrote:
I love Eurovision :) But as I'm in the US, some years I miss it as I completely space it, and there's not advertisements or other things over here to remind you it's coming up.

I know, right? It's even sadder because there have been some really successful songs that people recognize, and very few people here in the US know that they came from Eurovision. I remember the looks on my friends' faces when I told them that both ABBA and Celine Dion won the contest- it was awesome. :D

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:31 am

OMG!!

Eurovision!!

Never heard of it. :|

Just kidding. :D

I love the theatrical tackiness of it - like a gigantic rock eisteddfod.
Some good songs too.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:36 am

The Australian version had Julia Zemiro hosting.
Her dead pan comments were absolutely hilarious.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:39 am

I watch it religiously. There's nothing quite like it. The good, the bad, the ugly, with international politics mixed in. It's fantastic!

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:54 am

The most hilarious part to me in recent years is when the Dutch commentators are saying stuff like "Oh, those Eastern European countries are all voting for each other" and then it gets to the Dutch vote and they give Belgium twelve or ten points and vice versa. We are just as guilty of 'favouring our neighbour' as most countries are, and part of it will be that if Belgium or the Netherlands come in with a Dutch-language song, basically only the Dutch and the Flemish in the audience will be able to fully appreciate the lyrics. Even if the singing itself is subpar, if they dig the lyrics, they may give it a higher vote than someone else would. Aside from that, there are significant cultural parallels. Likewise, Scandinavian countries tend to give each other high votes, and no one seems to be b-tching about that.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 5:15 am

I stopped watching Eurovision a few years ago. The recurring theme of love throughout all of the songs got really stale and boring.