Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 9:14 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
...me and a couple of others reverse engineered the network code and wrote a server, i went around in every zone and "vacuumed" all mobs to a wireshark capture that i later on parsed and turned into data files so they could be spawned on the right positions serverside.

Ah, I was wondering how they do that. I'm sure it's a lot more difficult for games that are already defunct by the time fans attempt to preserve them.

It's way easier than most people think, and to some it may seem like magic, but all you need is programming skills, knowing how to set up a socket and sending/receiving data (i taught sockets in programming class and you should have seen the size of the students eyeballs :lol: as if a new world had opened up to them). I learned lots from that project and it helped me with my later projects.

It would be theoretically possible to analyse a disassembly and/or fuzz the client to see what happens when packet with content X goes in and thereby recovering a dead server, probably wont be 100% but it could be done. Some NPCs i've seen on emulated servers (mostly WoW) run through buildings/trees etc, that is because the lack the original server code/data to tell NPCs where the walls are.