Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:46 am

When did your life even back out? How long did it take?

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

I've been hospitalized twice for psychiatric reasons. The first time I was lucky: things evened out after just a couple of weeks. My job was very understanding and I faced no consequences for those absences. Quite frankly, I'm under the impression that this is the exception rather than the rule.

I imagine that more experiences turned out like my second time: which probably took about 2-3 months. A bad reaction to an SSRI put me in the hospital. If the idiot psychiatrist had gotten his medical degree from an actual university instead of a cereal box, he wouldn't have put me BACK on an SSRI after I had such a strong physical and mental reaction to the other one.

Alas, I got Dr. Bottom-of-the-Barrel, which meant I had to deal with depression so bad I that could barely get out of bed for over a month and a half while I tried to get used to the new medicine. I finally found a REAL psychiatrist who saw how bad my symptoms were and she wisely took me off of it. Then, things finally started to go back to normal.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:15 am

MarissaKay wrote:
I've been hospitalized twice for psychiatric reasons. The first time I was lucky: things evened out after just a couple of weeks. My job was very understanding and I faced no consequences for those absences. Quite frankly, I'm under the impression that this is the exception rather than the rule.

I imagine that more experiences turned out like my second time: which probably took about 2-3 months. A bad reaction to an SSRI put me in the hospital. If the idiot psychiatrist had gotten his medical degree from an actual university instead of a cereal box, he wouldn't have put me BACK on an SSRI after I had such a strong physical and mental reaction to the other one.

Alas, I got Dr. Bottom-of-the-Barrel, which meant I had to deal with depression so bad I that could barely get out of bed for over a month and a half while I tried to get used to the new medicine. I finally found a REAL psychiatrist who saw how bad my symptoms were and she wisely took me off of it. Then, things finally started to go back to normal.

You made that sound easy.

I've been hospitalized 3 times this year for suicidal ideation. The last time I got electroconvulsive therapy.

This past weekend was the first one I spent without another adult (it's been 2 months). I think it was too soon. Not, I ended up dead too soon, but I'm maybe not quite there yet and I don't want to admit it to all the tons of people bending over to help me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:18 am

What do you mean by you "ending up dead too soon?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What do you mean by you "ending up dead too soon?

I didn't punctuate the sentence properly.

It wasn't "ending up dead" too soon, just "I don't feel good" too soon.

Does that work better?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:22 am

It sounds like you're feeling lonely. That you want people around you.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It sounds like you're feeling lonely. That you want people around you.

I am lonely. I'm always lonely. I have someone picking me up soon to go to Sunday school--so I can see people (I'm a pantheist).

My husband's job is just...lonely on this side...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:28 am

How is your health?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How is your health?

It's playing nice.

How are you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:59 am

I'm all right. I have a little cough/cold. But otherwise all right.

Are you still aiming for the Appalachians?

Are there museums devoted to rockets in the Rocket City?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 10:14 am

...Yes :( . And it destroyed my life :cry: . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: : :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: cry: :cry:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

I was twice. Once at nine and once at fifteen. I had no idea why and the whole thing just felt surreal. I still have nightmares about it occasionally. They knew I had Asperger's but back in 1996, there really wasn't anything anyone could do for it.

When I was fifteen, I still had no idea why I was there and they would always ask me why I was there.

BOTH times I thought I had been sent there for punishment and when I came home, I was worse behaviorally than when I went in. When I was fifteen, I basically spent the whole year in my bedroom and only came out to use the bathroom. They wouldn't let me stay in my room at the hospital when I needed to "recharge" and forced me to interact with other people.

morimori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2017, 6:50 pm

They kept me for two weeks. I felt like a couple members of the staff were antagonizing me and intentionally doing things to exacerbate my paranoia. One aide straight up told me I was ugly and fat, and that no one would believe me if I reported him.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm all right. I have a little cough/cold. But otherwise all right.

Are you still aiming for the Appalachians?

Are there museums devoted to rockets in the Rocket City?

That's not too bad. Seems everyone has a cough these days.

I am still aiming for the AT. We head out in March (just for a one day hike, but to break ground).

Yeah, there are museums. The space and Rocket Center. I'm going there tomorrow for a homeschool field trip. We have a membership. The place where they do space camp, etc.

Where my dad used to work, they had...well, stuff.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:30 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Yes :( . And it destroyed my life :cry: . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: : :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: cry: :cry:

I'm sorry to hear this. How long ago was it?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I was twice. Once at nine and once at fifteen. I had no idea why and the whole thing just felt surreal. I still have nightmares about it occasionally. They knew I had Asperger's but back in 1996, there really wasn't anything anyone could do for it.

When I was fifteen, I still had no idea why I was there and they would always ask me why I was there.

BOTH times I thought I had been sent there for punishment and when I came home, I was worse behaviorally than when I went in. When I was fifteen, I basically spent the whole year in my bedroom and only came out to use the bathroom. They wouldn't let me stay in my room at the hospital when I needed to "recharge" and forced me to interact with other people.

That sounds really awful.

Yeah, all 3 places I've been to encourage you to be out of your room. I just did what they said because my life was a mess.