If you drank a coffee and took a sleep remedy at the same ti

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 1:08 pm

If you drank a coffee and took a sleep remedy at the same time, which would win?

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

Depends how strong each one is and how you react to them.

I've taken diphenhydramine with coffee and been wide awake. I also taken the same and gone to sleep.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 7:44 pm

Actually I have some observational experience with a more extreme version of this experiment.

A crazy drugee buddy of mine knows the PDR by heart. Once asked him what would happen if you took a prescription pep pill, like Dexadrin (very powerful), at the same time that you took an equivalent prescription only sedative (I cant name one off the top of my head like my buddy can).

He said that's called "doing speed balls". Its an actual thing that some recreational drug users do. "What you get is a see-saw effect" the effect of one alternating with the effect of the other. Up and then down, and then up, .....

Anyway.

Sometime later I dropped in on this friend and he, his dog, and I , all rode in my car to a local nature area for what I hoped would be a nice healthful hike. While we driving he told me that he had just taken 8 over the counter pep pills (like I said he is crazy). These were not prescription pills, but...he took friggin eight of em.

I had seen him before pumped up on pep pills (he goes into an exuberiantly crazy talking thing, and even spouts German he learned in highschool). Insufferable to be around. So I decided to offer him a deal. Told him "if you're willing take the same number, eight, over the counter sleeping pills on top of those pep pills you took I will pay for them". He happily agreed. We stopped at a drug store and bought like sominex or something. He took the eight pills.

For a long time none of the sixteen pills, of either drug, had taken effect. Then suddenly apparently BOTH drugs hit him at the same time! Heard him gasp "OH...MY GAWWWWD...I feel like I am tripping on acid..".

I would glance at him. He would be hyper, and would be talking loudly a mile a minute, and even start spouting his highshool German, and then...he would suddenly look drowsy, would get quiet, and he would slump, his eyes would close, and his would start to nod off. And then ....one eye would pop open. Then both eyes. Then he would be alert again, and would then get hyper, and start laughing and talking trash again (in both English and in German). Only to get quiet again, and start to nod off again, And the cycle repeated.

So my buddy's behavior demonstrated the very thing that he himself had told me happens when you combine powerful uppers with powerful downers. You get a see-saw effect.