Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 3:15 pm

I'm going to admit I'm going through this issue and some of the users here see it too. Sometimes people don't see potential in us, and we try to show them everytime that we do, but they don't believe in us, and here is why.

Some people like myself in life are like this empty abandoned lot filled with rubble and trash. If you want people to see the real you then this lot has to be planned, structured, and built. You may keep on saying that it has the potential of it being the next fun amusement park... And well... It better be something as good as Disney Land if you really want people to think you have potential, because otherwise, when people see this empty abandoned lot, they only see the disgusting trash, smell, and all the parts laying around. You may see this huge lot that has potential, but the other person doesn't. The other person seeing this lot wants to have fun clearly and plainly nothing else nothing more. If they come back and only see kiddy rides built from this lot, they may still be disappointed. Regardless of what you may think. You aren't in middle school anymore. Hopes and dreams are looked at as myths. You may stand a better chance if there is something deeply tangible about this lot filled with rubble and trash if you build over it the way you see it.

Turn rubble and trash into an amusement park. Let's make these dreams a reality instead of trying to convince people they are, because like what I'm going through it's just a trashy lot. No half built rides either, the entire park has to be built. Not to worry, because most amusement parks started out as that trashy lot.

Likewise, show people your potential when it is complete. Do more and talk less. :D

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

If we know we have potential--if we really believe in our capabilities--then it is important to maintain a connection to that belief.

By the time I graduated from high school and started college--for the first time--my self-esteem was terrible. I didn't get all that far in college, a couple of years and I more or less dropped out. This was due to total social failure. By the fourth grade, I knew that I had great talent in math and science. By college, I was self-defeating and couldn't pass even basic math courses, such was my poor belief in myself.

Ten years later, I was back, only this time, I was in the top three or four students in those classes that I'd flunked or dropped out of. What happened? Well, in the interim I got a technical job and over time I realized (and I got feedback) that I was a top performer. Oh, sure, due to the usual Aspie social problems my coworkers never admitted that I knew anything, but in business money talks and my bosses were more interested in making money than they were in my coworkers' opinion of me, so they were quite happy with me.

I ended up eventually earning three college degrees. The moral of this story is that, no matter how good you are, or could be if you realized your potential, without belief in yourself it won't be worth much. If people put you down and try to make you fail, and if you don't have a group of people who will see that potential in you to succeed, you'll indeed fail.

I volunteer at a charity that does free meals for homeless people (I'm older now, and the story above spans decades). The other day, I struck up a conversation with a homeless guy. In a few minutes, it became clear that he was science savvy. I asked him about that, and it turns out he had a couple of degrees in physics. He wasn't lying about that, either, as after some additional conversation it was very clear he was quite knowledgeable. A bit short of realizing his potential.

A lot of us who fail turn our attentions to drinking too much or other self destructive behavior. This is sad.