Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 5:42 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingnews/28-dead-after-shooting-at-sutherland-springs-church/ar-AAutjLF?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 5:59 pm

8O

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 6:10 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ksat.c ... ng-suspect

It also says a neighbor fired back at the idiot.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:00 pm

Tragic, especially the young lives so senselessly lost to the national religion of guns.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2017, 7:15 pm

It is just tragic. There is something wrong with people.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

https://heavy.com/news/2017/11/devin-ke ... ick-kelly/

Identifies the name of the killer ^ .. liked to post photos of his guns on social media and used one as an avatar. I hope that Facebook takes it down asap, there could hardly be a more offensive image in the circumstances.

One of the child victims was only five years old. These men are monsters, but they are monsters who hide in plain sight because they are so often regarded as just ordinary folk, until they terrorise and kill others.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:41 pm

This is news? 2017, 309 days, 307 mass shootings. Just another day in the Gun Nut States of America.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:43 pm

Terrorism is always news, even if the killer is white and born in America.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 7:49 pm

B19 wrote:

The NRA is the largest terrorist organization in the world. Responsible for over 30,000 deaths a year, and most Americans could care less.

I think newscasts need to have a special segment for it. Todays news, weather, sports, and mass murder report.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

B19 wrote:

Mass murder is always news. And its news whether the mass murder (aka "spree killing") was done in the name of a cause, or if it was not done in the name of a cause.

A) Its not "terrorism" unless its done for a political cause. Timothy McViegh was a White non Muslim guy, but no one denies that his bombing of Oklahoma City was "Terrorism" (the worst ever domestic act of terrorism, and second only to 9-11 as the worst of any kind of terrorism on US soil).

B) Calling murder terrorism doesn't make the murder either better or worse. If you're murdered you're just as dead if you were killed in the name of cause, or not. The Las Vegas shooter wasn't a "terrorist" because (like the Columbine boys) he didn't do it in the name of any cause (as far as we know yet). The Central Park Van driver was a terrorist because he did it after self radicalizing to identifying with ISIS and proclaimed it to be in the name of Islam and ISIS. The Charleston South Carolina Church shooter picked his targets because of their race. So I would call him a terrorist, but this outwardly similar spree shooting in Texas so far doesn't seem to have been racially motivated. No poltical or creed based motive has come to light yet either. So we cant say yet whether or not it can be labeled "terrorism".

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:05 pm

The USA has a day of morning (rightly) on 9/11 every year, but there is no day of national mourning for the victims of mass shootings in the USA, even though far far more die from the latter. I hazard a guess that such a day of mourning would offend the feelings of the NRA and their members - despite that their numbers percentage wise in the total USA population are few. (Shakes head sadly, pauses to hope for an awakening in the USA).

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:10 pm

If this killer of the day had said "Allahu Akbar" as he murdered USA men women and children, would that have made his actions worse?

I am not trying to offend by saying that; the terror is in the killings from my personal perspective, and mass shootings a form of domestic terrorism in the USA, even when not accompanied by a political motive. I accept that there are different views, though that is mine.

Aspzan
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm

I'm open to discussion but are the tools used to kill the real issue?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 10:05 pm

^ Seriously? You think Stephen Paddock could have killed 50 and wounded 500 from a 32nd-floor hotel room window, 400 yards away, by throwing rocks or bottles at them?

@B19: I like your suggestion of a national day of mourning for victims of mass shootings. I don't recall anyone over here in the US suggesting it, and I wonder if that might not be "the way in".

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 10:11 pm

what are americans warring against?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 10:15 pm

B19 wrote:
If this killer of the day had said "Allahu Akbar" as he murdered USA men women and children, would that have made his actions worse?

Well DUHHHH... . you're the one with the weird notion that it makes a difference. So why don't you tell us?

You are the one making the value judgment. No one else is.
So why are you trying to overthrow a notion that you yourself created and then projected onto everyone else?

No one said that labeling a crime "terrorism" makes it worse than labeling it "murder" except you. So why are you crusading against the notion when no one else but you ever had the notion in the first place?

Last edited by naturalplastic on 05 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.