Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

jonny23 wrote:
38 was never adequate. That's been proven time and again for many years by the military and police.

It did the job for 90 years until civilians started upgrading to semiautomatics/automatics. If it wasn't for the proliferation of automatic weapons police would still be carrying 38 specials.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

If that where true then why did 90% of police in the country switch over instead of just the places with gang problems.

Reasons the police chose revolvers:
-Reliability (many early autos where prone to jamming, especially when not maintained regularly)
-Cost (Autos where much more expensive)
-Simplicity (Revolvers are faster to learn and simpler to operate)
-Safer (Many considered the cocked and locked or double actions to be more prone to accidental discharge)
-Longevity (Revolvers last forever with virtually no maintenance)
-Amadextrius
-Tradition (Police used six guns for a long time. Many police saw themselves as the Lawman of the old west)

The move to semi-auto guns started in the 70’s but really took off in the 80's when the glock was introduced. It has a consistent trigger pull with a safety integrated into the trigger. It's simple manual of arms, extreme reliability and relative low cost where as much to do with the change over as the round capacity and ammunition type.

Just because the police use the 38 for so long doesn't mean it was adequate. Cars where not required to have seat belts until 1959 that does not mean they had adequate safety standards for the 46 years before that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

1959? Try 1983!

It wasn't until 1968 that cars were even required to be fitted for seat belts.

I was shocked to find that out!

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 2:30 pm

You are correct! I don't know where I got '59 from...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:27 pm

Cops did not pursue assault charge against Texas church shooter

Quote:
eriff’s deputies admitted they did not pursue a sexual assault investigation that, in the end, may have prevented a Texas gunman from legally obtaining the firearm he used to slaughter dozens at a church in November.

Nearly four years before Devin Kelley gunned down 25 people, including a pregnant woman, at Firth Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, a woman accused him of pinning her down and forcing her to perform oral sex, according to records released on Friday.

The unidentified victim reported the incident to the Comal County Sheriff’s office in June 2013 — just three days after the alleged assault occurred. In a handwritten statement to authorities, the woman claimed she’d gone to “hang out” with Kelley, but that he kept trying to kiss her despite the fact she repeatedly turned away.

“At some point he had me sit on the bed with him and he forced me to lay down,” she wrote. “Devin then sat on my chest with my arms restricted underneath.”

Then he tried to force her into oral sex, according to documents.

The Sheriff’s Office never filed charges against Kelley, despite the two-page statement detailing the sexual assault. The case was labeled inactive after authorities struggled to get in touch with the victim and it remained that way — even after authorities were called to Kelley’s home a year later to separately investigate a domestic complaint lodged against him.

"This was an error on the part of the sheriff's office," Reynolds said.

Kelley at that point should have been arrested, Comal County Sheriff Mark Reynolds said. But the department lacked a case-tracking database that would’ve alerted authorities responding to the domestic disturbance that he was the subject of a sexual assault investigation.

Reynolds, who became sheriff last year, is now creating such a database.

The newly released documents also include a statement from Kelley’s ex-wife, Tessa Brennaman. She spoke with the victim a day after the alleged attack, explaining to her how Kelley abused her over the course of their one-year marriage.

“Devin would frequently choke, slap, kick and water-board her and one time even held a gun against her head,” according to the documents.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman