Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 11:50 am

Today I watched a little bit of a documentary I already watched, called Style Wars (from 1983) which was about graffiti in NYC and it goes in depth about the subject, which I really like.

I always wonder what opinions people have on graffiti. Like me: I think that it is a form of expression, and a piece of history left behind by the person who made it. Then of course, there are the others who think it is destructive, that it is ruining buildings plus property, and that it should go away. What do you guys think about graffiti?

Always being curious,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 6, 2017)

Last edited by LegoMaster2149 on 06 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm

This is my opinion - and that's OK.

Well done and well placed, it's art; wherever it's done and placed, it's sociohistory; when it's old enough, it's archaeology (the special you watched probably talked about the graffiti discovered in Pompeii?)

Disclaimer: I happen to like tattoos, also. Some of them are amazingly intricate and beautiful.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

It the only kind of artwork I have any time for.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:18 pm

I remember one time in a Calvin and Hobbes comic, Calvin joined Susie chalk drawing on the sidewalk only because he thought it was vandalism. When she told him it wasn't because the chalk washes right off, Calvin completely lost interest and it showed him tossing the chalk he was using over his shoulder as he walks away.
What a bad little kid! :lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:34 pm

Honestly? I think the tagging type is godawful whether it is on trains, subways or walls. It's ugly and should be removed, and the persons responsible should pay for it.
I have no tolerance for it.
But if you include spray painted paintings, they can be good. They still shouldn't be put up just anywhere though.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:47 pm

I agree with Skilpadde. I've always found it disgusting. The only type of it I can tolerate is the kind that's actually artistic and not just random letters scribbled somewhere.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2017, 8:33 pm

I think it's art that should only be done on the person's own property or with permission from others. Otherwise it's defacing property.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:33 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Honestly? I think the tagging type is godawful whether it is on trains, subways or walls. It's ugly and should be removed, and the persons responsible should pay for it.
I have no tolerance for it.
But if you include spray painted paintings, they can be good. They still shouldn't be put up just anywhere though.

Tags actually look cool to me. The shapes of the letters are very creative.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2017, 4:01 am

There's a Stop sign around here that someone tagged by writing the word Hate under the word Stop so it's saying Stop Hate

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:07 am

Once as a child, I used to be obsessed about it. :lol:

Right now? I'm not sure.
I like the visuals (From the artistic and sophisticated, to the crude ones), and I kinda appreciate the concepts of expressions. (Whether it expresses positive or negative)
Yet on the other hand, the law itself and respect for other else's spaces/properties...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2017, 10:51 am

I don't think that's a matter of one answer fits all as that's seldom the case anyway, so I'll try to approach the situation from many different angles.

If one thinks it's legitimate to - without authorisation - paint someone else's walls because "private property is theft and an illusion", as much as I'm an anarchist (or a least that's the closest someone could define me), I can't simply concur with that out of respect for people who don't share those same beliefs. They work hard to earn some money and paint their houses just to wake up the following morning with unwanted scribbles on his newly reformed wall.

In this regard, people who deem their grafitti as unconventional art that should be respected and praised as an enlightening means of communication, actually strike me as regular sociopaths rationalizing why their crimes are completely justifiable. This goes independently of how well executed the job must have been. Most people don't want to step out of their houses and realise someone had painted a perfect yet unauthorized Mona Lisa replica on their door.

If you are one of those who would enjoy a random picture or message painted on your house overnight, don't speak for everyone: just hang a sign outside saying "please grafitti my whole house". Plus, in my country (and probably others) it's illegal to have the front side of your house in a bad shape, most especially the sidewalk and the walls. The owner could be given a fine for that. Therefore, not only it's beyond selfish to damage property and let others pay for that "art", it's inconsistent with any sociopolitical messages that said artist would be trying to portray in his work.

When graffitti is performed on public spaces, the "artist" could argue that said space belongs to him as co-owner and he's entitled to do whatever wants. Problem is, the space also belongs to every people out there and they don't want see images and sentences they don't like everywhere around them. Above all, symbols that could be deemed as demotivational and outraging to some sensitive people are an act of aggression because those people don't have a choice but to forcefully see disrespectful messages displayed in every public place. Said artist is again, being totally inconsistent with his message by merely causing babyish trouble when he should be promoting mature insight.

Some would argue that true art is provocative and subversive otherwise it can't be art. I say if one is trying so hard to be perceived as a grand artist that he doesn't care that his work is actually causing problems rather than self-reflection, he's no artist. Again, that's more like a criminal thinks than an artist. Firstly, artists should do things for the sake of art itself, not to purposely please or otherwise shock particular audiences. Second, if there's a statement in the art but its creator refuses to go through to the ultimate consequences to support his views - like ending up in courts of law - he's inconsistent with his artistic statement. He's a coward and an hypocrite. That's not what an artist should be like, at least in my opinion.

All that said, now let's just assume for a while that the graffittis in question were performed in a totally legitimate way. Or to push it further, let's disregard all the ethical and lawful implications. In that case, the graffittis are left for the viewers to see what they make of them in a totally subjective fashion. The artist has no say in that, has no control. Once it's out there it belongs to no one else. Exactly like music.

Conclusion: I am totally in favour of street art, graffitti or whatever goes along these lines. People just shouldn't do that as a means to harrass everyone just to call attention upon themselves, using the good name of Art to justify their most childish impetus, damaging statues and houses in the process. That's not what art is for me. Rant over.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

I like it and consider it an art thats interesting/fun to look at as long as it isn't some simple "P+L= :heart: " or something vulgar.

Even today, in a tram I was thinking "Someone should put some graffiti there" when going through a boring tunel with dirty, grey walls. It would look much better.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm

I don't even find it aesthetically appealing when it's on canvas in a gallery. If I weren't concerned about getting sued and such, I'd happily paint over it wherever I saw it. For free. Then again, I'd also pave potholes for free if I wasn't worried about lawsuits.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 5:42 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
I don't even find it aesthetically appealing when it's on canvas in a gallery. If I weren't concerned about getting sued and such, I'd happily paint over it wherever I saw it. For free. Then again, I'd also pave potholes for free if I wasn't worried about lawsuits.

Yeah, it looks way more appealing when it is on a wall, train, etc. It gives it the feeling of it traveling to other places, as opposed to a gallery, where it just stays there, and doesn't move anywhere.