IQscores may not predict school success

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:40 pm

Many children with autism do better in school than their intelligence scores would predict, according to a new study1. And about 16 percent do worse.

The study is the first to track cognitive ability and academic skills in children with autism throughout childhood. The findings suggest that these children should be screened for learning difficulties regardless of their intelligence scores.

https://spectrumnews.org/news/autism-in ... l-success/

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 12:40 am

The letter Q in IQ means "quotient." There is a denominator. And the reference score of 100 means a typical age-peer person, which in practice means a "neurotypical" person. The usage of IQ score promotes the concept that autistic people are outliers, and that neurotypical people are the norm that autistic people need to look up to.

So, the top 3 lies about autism are:
(a) Autistic children need to talk
(b) Autistic children need to socialize and make friends
(c) IQ should be used in autism assessment

If you look at these three points, none of them has any scientific basis. They all come from the implicit assumption that neurotypical people are better than autistic people. Precisely because of this underlying assumption, parents waste valuable time and resources to chase after "fixing" their children, instead of developing their children 's brains via the visual-manual route. The consequence of these three points is that the absolute majority of autistic children become underdeveloped. It is pure child abuse. It's a crime. And we continue to allow this crime to be committed on millions of children, everyday.

We achieve to develop deaf, mute and blind children everyday, without emphasis on verbal and/or social skills. We should wake up and adopt the same approach: emphasize solely on the development of cognitive skills, instead. A person doesn't need to talk nor to be social, for the person to hold a job, pay tax, and live independently with dignity.

And frankly, by going the route of cognitive development, autistic children have a much better chance of becoming verbal and social. And that is what I mean by

1+2+3+4+... = -1/12

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:34 am

the pb with s**t like this is that standard
how in the "f" is a high q ever fit the norm
oh yeah there's the "new" methode of beheading?

going to school was reliving the witchhunt again,
i felt the deja vu of being killed again,
or was it the cultural revolution (synchronicity)?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:38 am

or

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2017, 5:28 am

Very true. Me and my youngest brother both have fairly high IQ's, but we did/are doing really badly in school. Our other brother has a lower than average IQ and he's doing pretty well.

Success in school has nothing to do with any kind of intelligence. It's more about how able you are to follow the standards of the school curriculum. Doing tests, homework and assignments in the way you're "supposed to".

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 6:04 am

I am not sure the number of children used is sufficient to arrive at more than speculative conclusions. I do think though it is right to emphasise the issue of learning difficulties. If you have one and it's not recognised/you don't get the support for it then chances are you'll underperform at school.