Why do you still use dating sites?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Trashikawa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2017, 5:34 am

Utopia97 wrote:
A desire for a relationship combined with boredom and a feeling of "oh, go on, then", usually followed by a feeling of "this website is terrible and so is everyone on it", which is seemingly swiftly forgotten and/or disregarded when the desire for a relationship combined with boredom and the feeling of "oh, go on, then" return. Kind of like pigging out on a tub of sweets, subsequently feeling nauseous, convincing oneself to stay away from them, only to crave them later.

Fantastically put.

I deleted my accounts on all the online dating platforms I used last year in an attempt to break the cycle of addiction. I still haven't caved and made a new account yet. Fingers crossed that I'll endure.

In times of weakness, I always try to remind myself that there's a reason the people on dating sites use them: they have a problem with maintaining meaningful relationships in the non-virtual world. Sometimes this is through no fault of their own, but sometimes the fault lies in their personality - especially if they're otherwise very attractive. Three dates in a row with people of the latter kind were enough for me to swear off online dating for the near future.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 7:55 am

Why do I still use dating sites? I don't even know, I think I'm done with dating. Even if I could find someone who is qualified (which is unlikely at my age), I really don't have time for new people :|

I wouldn't mind just someone to chat with online, but: people don't really use computers anymore, girls get impatient with me (or creeped out?) awfully quick, and -- again -- I really don't have time =)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 10:24 am

Trashikawa wrote:
Utopia97 wrote:
A desire for a relationship combined with boredom and a feeling of "oh, go on, then", usually followed by a feeling of "this website is terrible and so is everyone on it", which is seemingly swiftly forgotten and/or disregarded when the desire for a relationship combined with boredom and the feeling of "oh, go on, then" return. Kind of like pigging out on a tub of sweets, subsequently feeling nauseous, convincing oneself to stay away from them, only to crave them later.

Fantastically put.

I deleted my accounts on all the online dating platforms I used last year in an attempt to break the cycle of addiction. I still haven't caved and made a new account yet. Fingers crossed that I'll endure.

In times of weakness, I always try to remind myself that there's a reason the people on dating sites use them: they have a problem with maintaining meaningful relationships in the non-virtual world. Sometimes this is through no fault of their own, but sometimes the fault lies in their personality - especially if they're otherwise very attractive. Three dates in a row with people of the latter kind were enough for me to swear off online dating for the near future.

Lemme guess: they were crazy.

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2017, 1:37 pm

Trashikawa wrote:
Utopia97 wrote:

Fantastically put.

Where is your avatar from I know I've seen it before.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 1:52 pm

I had a dream last night about guys on dating sites not getting replies. I think I need to come on here less. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trashikawa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2017, 3:38 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Lemme guess: they were crazy.

Yup. I think one of them was a legitimate psychopath - I had a gut feeling that something was off about him, and the last person I felt that way about ended up sexually harassing one of my friends. The other two were still very unpleasant to be around.

SilverBoltsisWmax wrote:
Where is your avatar from I know I've seen it before.

It's the high wizard artwork from Ragnarok Online. I only played it for a bit, but I've been using it for years because I thought it was cool.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 4:17 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I had a dream last night about guys on dating sites not getting replies. I think I need to come on here less. :lol: :lol: :lol:

**hale_bopp waking up gasping, and quickly checks her boobs and the 10000 message notifications on smartphone**

hale_bopp: "*gasp* *gasp* thanks god i am still female".

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 6:03 pm

It wasn't a dream, it was a premonition!

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 7:43 pm

I just like to look at all the pretty pictures.

I also like to read the positive descriptions.

I have zero intentions of finding anyone on a dating site, though.

It's more fun and safe to connect via some sort of mutual interest or circumstance.

Trashikawa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
It's more fun and safe to connect via some sort of mutual interest or circumstance.

I wish I'd heard this advice a few years back. It would've spared me the trouble of actually trying online dating only to realize that true relationships are organic and shouldn't/can't be forced.

hale_bopp wrote:

It's funny to read a lot of those posts, especially since I'm gay and have experienced nothing even remotely similar to what they're describing.

Maybe they should try dating guys instead and see if it works out /s :lol: :roll:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:22 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
I just like to look at all the pretty pictures.

Ditto there, I don't mind people-watching from time to time. I've had times where I would see something in someone's profile, and it would spark artistic inspiration, whether it was a song or just a drawing. Some of my favorite songs were written that way, but I think it would be pretty creepy to contact them and share it with them =)

Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:09 pm

because every time i bash them, i always find a success story. my best friend met his wife on one, and 2 good friends I found out met on one. apparently, it happens. it's rare, but it does.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:58 am

One thing that I should mention is that if I hadn't met my wife when I did, I would likely have been past the point of no return in dating, online or off. What I mean is that because of all my negative experiences, I had pretty much written off women in general and was no longer willing to invest in them. Looking back at what I wrote to matches around the time I met Mrs GHF, it is clear I had a very bitter and jaded attitude and whether its justifiable or not it's not exactly a great way to interest the opposite sex.

Sure I gained a LOT of experience but at the same time there is such a thing as too much experience. I always felt I was the unluckiest guy alive on these sites but it may be the opposite: I found a very rare sane, normal, emotionally available woman in the sea of flakes.