Why do you still use dating sites?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:56 pm

So many people talk about how terrible they are. Why do you still use them? Is there any point where you say “This isn’t working” and change your game?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:23 pm

Speaking as someone who did go back to dating sites three times, it was a combination of a)obviously not being able to connect with women in real life, at least in a romantic way and b)hoping that this time, things will be different. If anything online dating only got worse as the years went on.

Granted, I did ultimately find a wife out of the site, but she herself admitted it was a "last resort" thing for her given her advancing age. If I lived in an alternate universe where I was single again, I would rather beat my head against a wall as it would hurt less. Game is a good description except in online dating the goalposts/nets/fence keeps moving and the ball keeps changing shape. Oh, and winning isn't enough, you have to win by a undetermined number of points too.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:27 pm

I imagine it's an act of desperation. They can't figure out what it is that all the other men have that they're lacking so they persist, hoping that eventually they'll break free.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:28 pm

I think that some interaction with the sites is good for Aspies who have not dated recently and may be unfamiliar with the current dating scene. Sort of like taking a practice SAT exam. Sure, you can get a great score by just walking in and taking the exam, but a lot of people do even better if they know what to expect.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm

I haven’t used dating sites in years, and I have been focusing on fan clubs for people with my interests. Unfortunately, the big ones are global, and not many people in my area.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:43 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have been focusing on fan clubs for people with my interests.

I do that too! ...With zero luck so far but whatever.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:58 pm

I can’t meet women in person. So dating sites are better then doing nothing. Better to try something then do nothing. Every single woman I’ve meet or dated I met on dating sites.
The few times I’ve asked women out in person always ends just as badly as being rject d on a dating site, but with the added downside of having to then see them every day , hear about how they got w bf. Like the one lady who rejected me who got physical sick from me asking her out(that’s how ugly I am), she’s dating s similarly aged guy at work who’s better looking and climbing the ladder, now I get to listen to him talk about the cute stuff she’s done, see them making out, holding hands, etc on a daily basis. Yay. My work situation is more depressing now. At least on dating sites I don’t see them again.

Newest lady seemed interested in me, saying hi t me, laughing st my crappy jokes. But when I asked her out she said she’s busy on Wednesday’s with church and would get back to me on a time, but she hasn’t and seems to be mostly ignoring me now, so guessing she also finds me hideous and was rejecting me softly. Least she didn’t get Ill and feel like passing out or vomiting like the other one.

I got 8 dates off dating sites 0from in person, so which is more likely to find dates?

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2017, 3:06 pm

I just want the chance to find out on my own how truly terrible they are. :P

Just kidding. In all seriousness, I've only had a dating profile up for about 2 and a half weeks or so. I haven't had an accurate amount of information to determine whether or not it's for me. I have been having some really good conversations and may have potentially found some platonic friends in my city, though, so that's always nice.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 8:01 pm

I still use dating sites because I get a lot of dates from dating sites. I met all three of of my past girlfriends on dating sites. I met the girl I'm dating now on a dating site.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

I used them for a long time even thou I had no luck because I thought there was a slim chance I could meet someone & i had very few other options.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 1:44 am

To stalk you of course.

Sometime World
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2017, 10:25 am

Why do I use online dating sites?

- Because I don't have friends to go out with in my civilian life, only acquaintances who never ask me to socialize with them. That's not my fault. I was bullied at college and university for my appearance so failed to make strong bonds. I'm also 40, so past that age where single guys go out to meet women in 'bachelor' groups. Most men my age have GF's, wives and young families to feed.

- When I have joined hobby groups, sports groups or social groups, the women I like the look of are always already called for, or the single women are aged 50+ and have grown up kids, or are obese (not my things).

- I don't hit on my female work colleagues. Especially now with the whole sex hysteria cases such as Harvey Weinerstamp... or whatever he's called. It's a bad thing when a female colleague realizes you fancy them and it isn't reciprocated.

---

I only have online dating. And if I use it now I don't message women, I only respond when they message me first. Which never happens.

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2017, 10:19 am

A desire for a relationship combined with boredom and a feeling of "oh, go on, then", usually followed by a feeling of "this website is terrible and so is everyone on it", which is seemingly swiftly forgotten and/or disregarded when the desire for a relationship combined with boredom and the feeling of "oh, go on, then" return. Kind of like pigging out on a tub of sweets, subsequently feeling nauseous, convincing oneself to stay away from them, only to crave them later.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 12:16 am

I started using dating sites because I wasn't having any luck in real life. I've since stopped because I didn't have much better luck online, and it just feels sh1tty to know that so many women have access to your profile yet even the ones you're not that interested in aren't interested in you at all, let alone the ones you do like.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2017, 1:47 am

women have it eazy on dating sites.

males have it hard.

Trashikawa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2017, 5:34 am

Utopia97 wrote:
A desire for a relationship combined with boredom and a feeling of "oh, go on, then", usually followed by a feeling of "this website is terrible and so is everyone on it", which is seemingly swiftly forgotten and/or disregarded when the desire for a relationship combined with boredom and the feeling of "oh, go on, then" return. Kind of like pigging out on a tub of sweets, subsequently feeling nauseous, convincing oneself to stay away from them, only to crave them later.

Fantastically put.

I deleted my accounts on all the online dating platforms I used last year in an attempt to break the cycle of addiction. I still haven't caved and made a new account yet. Fingers crossed that I'll endure.

In times of weakness, I always try to remind myself that there's a reason the people on dating sites use them: they have a problem with maintaining meaningful relationships in the non-virtual world. Sometimes this is through no fault of their own, but sometimes the fault lies in their personality - especially if they're otherwise very attractive. Three dates in a row with people of the latter kind were enough for me to swear off online dating for the near future.