Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

I understand that most of us here are going through this and we all have made mistakes with these types of people, and probably have thought they were jerks when in reality they weren't.

You know the famous saying:

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"?

Well... That's how people can be when they first approach you. They start off with being cautious about you by not joking with you or starting other types of conversations with you, AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. The reason for this is that cautious people want to know you more first before they can joke with you more or start other types of comfortable conversations. Some people start off with being more mysterious than others, so the people around them may be more cautious the first time they see them. Whatever you do, do not try to win them over. Be very patient and considerate in the way you talk to them. It's like trying to pet a nice stray cat. At first it will be cautious towards humans but not towards other animals of its own kind, but once you start being humble, and being patient, then the cat will approach you and purr letting you pet it.

Think about that, and this applies to people like me too. At first I'm like that cat, but once you make it comfortable without freaking out... I approach you next. While approaching you you be patient and as I am finally there, then say hello and say the conversation you were wanting to say.

And yes there are some cats that just hate people like there are people who just hate other people, so there's hardly going to be any use. But for those cats who do want to talk to you, be patient.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2017, 7:17 am

This is true. Good advice.
Most people are very shy, and fearful of strangers.

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2017, 11:23 am

The cat analogy is appropriate, I can definitely relate to it.