folks with mental illness more likely victims than prepetrat

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 1:43 am

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318286/ perpetrators. don't comment without reading the whole article.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 3:34 am

Your statement is too abstract to have much meaning.

I'm guessing the majority of non-accidental murders are caused by some form of mental illness?

Fear of others, fear in loss of pride/status, explosive rage, irrational thinking, revenge/payback for "being wronged", hurt pride/narcissism, hurt "male ego", depression, sociopath so lacks empathy, delusional thinking ....

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 3:46 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

I'm guessing the majority of non-accidental murders are caused by some form of mental illness?

Fear of others, fear in loss of pride/status, explosive rage, irrational thinking, revenge/payback for "being wronged", hurt pride/narcissism, hurt "male ego", depression, sociopath so lacks empathy, delusional thinking ....

you don't understand mental illness. you obviously didn't read the article. if you had, my statement and much more would be clear to you.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 3:56 am

cathylynn wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

you don't understand mental illness. you obviously didn't read the article. if you had, my statement and much more would be clear to you.

I read the article, and it's silly.

It only deals with *diagnosed mental illness* and ignores non-diagnosed mental illness.

I think most murder is caused by non-diagnosed mental illness..

People don't get diagnoses for every hurtful mental condition (e..g, We don't have "cheating spouse syndrome", or "the bros will think less of me syndrome").

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 4:08 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

It only deals with *diagnosed mental illness* and ignores non-diagnosed mental illness.

People don't get diagnoses for every hurtful mental condition (e..g, We don't have "cheating spouse syndrome", or "the bros will think less of me syndrome").

yes. those things are not mental illnesses at all. a negative state of mind may have nothing to do with mental illness. if you make your definition so broad, it loses all meaning.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 4:10 am

a prestigious public health journal found the article worthwhile. i'd look elsewhere than the article for the deficiency.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm

You won't convince LNH,her mind is set.We are all losers prone to violence.
It dosent matter that there are dozens of credible studies on this subject.
Substance abuse can be a big issue in violence,with both the mentally ill and nureotypicals.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/newslett ... d-violence

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Substance abuse can be a big issue in violence,with both the mentally ill and nureotypicals.

yes. substance abuse and anger, not illness, are the big issues.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 9:11 pm

Substance abuse leads to DESPERATION.....which leads to criminal activity.

Without a job, an addict has to hustle and do illegal things in order to get his/her "fix."

This includes selling his/her mother's stuff.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 2:49 am

Misslizard wrote:

losers are prone to anger

anger from being losers

anger that can make them mentally ill

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:15 am

You are drawing a long bow there. I have a very different view.

Violent crimes are committed by violent people. The common denominator is violence, not mental illness. Violent men who commit violent crimes appear to feel entitled to express anger by murdering others, and many seem to meet criteria for personality disorders (which are not the same as mental illness). People with personality disorders are not always or mostly losers - they are often in positions of power because exercising their power over others in toxic ways is what sociopaths (who have a personality disorder) do, and they get away with a great deal of damage because the loser stereotype myth blinds people to the sociopaths in professions, hierarchies, communities until they are caught acting out violently.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 5:15 am

What about the idea that some people are just homicidal. That they're "natural born killers". End of story.

My great uncle gunned down a countless number of people and was given awards for it, as a vulcan cannon operator during viet nam. He never seemed the least bit bothered by it. He just commented on how loud the gun was.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

anger from being losers

Nope.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... urder.html

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 2:08 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

anger from being losers

the mistake you are making is thinking that emotional disturbance = mental illness.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 4:09 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

I don't think most gang members are mentally ill, they're just, well, thugs. Whatever their reason for joining, I doubt it was due to being crazy.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran